Booze was ‘too much for body’ of man (57)

0
Have your say

A NEWSTEAD man died in his own home after drinking too much alcohol, an inquest heard.

Glen Burrows (57), of The Quadrangle, lived with his nephew and was known to be a heavy drinker.

At an inquest in Nottingham, Stephanie Haskey, assistant deputy coroner for Nottinghamshire, said that Mr Burrows had been drinking all day on Friday July 22 and remained in bed longer than usual.

He came downstairs in a confused state and lay down on the floor where he died.

A post mortem found no evidence of cirrhosis of Mr Burrows’s liver. But toxicology reports showed evidence of recent alcohol consumption.

The post mortem results were consistent with potentially fatal alcoholic ketoacidosis — an acid imbalance in the body that causes the pH level of the blood to plummet. The cause of death was given as toxic alcoholic ketoacidosis.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded by Miss Haskey, who said that, sadly, it appeared the level of alcohol Mr Burrows had drank that day had been too much for his body to take.