Electric-blanket checks prevent fire tragedies

editorial image

LIFE-threatening fires have been prevented by a session in Hucknall to check the safety of electric blankets, organisers have declared.

Alarming results from the event have revealed that two of every three blankets put through the check at Hucknall fire station on Watnall Road were found to be faulty.

Forty-seven members of the public had blankets tested but only 17 passed.

It meant that 30 were suffering from faults, which ranged from worn fabric and melted controllers to faulty wiring that could have caused house fires. Two of the blankets tested were at least 20 years old.

The testing session was run by Notts County Council’s trading standards department and the Nottinghamshire Fire And Rescue service.

It was part of the council’s Keep Warm This Winter campaign, which is aimed at reducing winter deaths and hospital admissions among the over-75s.

The campaign is backed by Coun Mick Murphy (Con), of Hucknall, who is lead member for community safety at the county council.

OUR PHOTO shows Coun Murphy (left) checking some of the blankets with (from left) firefighters Neil Chauntry and Simon Clunie and trading standards representative Jo MacDonald — DISPIC NHUD12-0423-1.