Fire closes popular chip-shop

editorial image
0
Have your say

A POPULAR chip-shop in Hucknall is still closed after firegihters spent more than two hours battling a blaze at the takeaway.

Drama unfolded shortly after 11 am on Friday February 10 at the Beauvale Take-Away on Beauvale Crescent.

Flames started in the ventilation system above the fryers and smoke quickly filled the building, including a flat on the second floor.

No-one was injured in the fire but two cats had to be rescued.

Police set up a cordon that blocked Beauvale Crescent and Beauvale Road, and traffic had to be diverted.

Eyewitness Andrew Martin (47), of Barbara Square, Hucknall, was on his way to a meeting at nearby Holgate Comprehensive School when he saw firefighters tackling the blaze. He stopped to video the drama on his mobile phone.

“It was quite exciting,” he said. “A lot of thick, black smoke was coming from the windows.

“There was a lot of commotion but the firefighters were very impressive. You couldn’t see any flames but it was pretty dramatic. Thankfully, no-one was caught up inside.”

Allan Newbury (68), who lives two doors down from the chip shop on Beauvale Crescent, said: “You could see smoke coming out of a fan at the back of the building and then smoke billowing out of the windows.

“A lot of children were coming up from the school (Holgate Comprehensive) for their lunch but had to turn back.”

The chip shop is currently closed because of the fire.

OUR PHOTOs show firefighters tackling the blaze at the chip shop.