Flat fire breaks out after occupant falls asleep with the cooker left on

Fire Service.Generic Fire engine and Fire service officers for Scarborough.Picture Richard Ponter 132217f
Fire Service.Generic Fire engine and Fire service officers for Scarborough.Picture Richard Ponter 132217f

Crews attended a fire at a flat on Cherry Grove in Hucknall last night after the occupant fell asleep and left the cooker on.

Firefighters were called to the incident at 6.17pm and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.

A working smoke alarm led to the fire service being alerted.

“This is not only an example of the importance of working smoke alarms, but it is an example of why we advise people to never leave cooking unattended,” said NFRS Risk Reduction Officer, Ruth Clayton.

“People are at risk of a fire if they leave their cooker unattended for any reason and if a distraction occurs – whatever that distraction may be – we advise that people turn their cookers off and take items off heat until they return to the kitchen.

“Even if it is just a minute, it is still so important to do this because of the potentially devastating impact a fire can have on people and their property.”

The incident had been dealt with by 6.40pm.