Forest Town man’s third cat dies from antifreeze poisoning

Bo, a three-year-old female tabby of Princess Avenue, in Forest Town died after drinking anti-freeze.
Bo, a three-year-old female tabby of Princess Avenue, in Forest Town died after drinking anti-freeze.

A Forest town man has warned pet owners to be vigilant after his third cat was poisoned with anti-freeze.

Bo, a three-year-old female tabby died from kidney failure and a vet examination found that she had ingested anti-freeze.

Her owner, Kevin Willis, of Princess Avenue, in Forest Town, Mansfield, said she seemed lethargic on Friday (September 18).

Mr Willis, 60, knew the symptoms of suspected poisonings after losing two cats to it last year and took her straight to the vets.

He said: “Sadly her kidneys had failed - the damage had already been done. She passed away on Monday - just four days later.”

It is the third cat Mr Willis said he has lost to poisoning, after two died from poisoning in September and October last year.

The first - Teddy, a black and white male cat - was aged six. The second was Charlie, also a black a white male, who had been adopted by Mr Willis and his partner Sheila Drury only three weeks earlier. Charlie was aged two.

Mr Willis said: “I am very concerned, especially as I have two other cats and I do not want the same thing to happen to them. I can’t always monitor my cats so I don’t always know where they are going when they are out.“It is very upsetting for us and I want to get to the bottom of who is doing this.”

RSPCA inspector Keith Ellis said: “This is very distressing for Mr Willis and his partner. The RSPCA is always deeply concerned to hear about suspected poisonings. Animals are often extremely curious and will be drawn to food. If anyone has any evidence that someone is deliberately poisoning animals, they should contact the RSPCA on 0300 123 8018.”