HOMES in Hucknall had to be evacuated after an electricity sub-station exploded in a ball of flames.
The drama unfolded on Wednesday night (January 12) on Bolsover Street at about 8.10 pm with households across the town hearing the blast.
Firefighters and the police were called to the scene and a cordon was set up blocking several roads, including Bolsover Street and Station Road.
Police were also forced to evacuate residents from 12 homes due to high volumes of smoke caused by the blaze.
Other households were urged to shut their windows and doors.
The Nottingham Express Transit tram service was terminated at Moor Bridge in Bulwell and the petrol station at the nearby Tesco superstore on Ashgate Road was closed as a precaution.
Electricity supply to hundreds of homes was temporarily disrupted. No-one was injured.
Coun John Wilmott (Lab), of Hucknall, who is deputy leader of Ashfield District Council, saw the blaze at its height.
“It was unbelievable,” he said. “People across the whole of Hucknall heard the explosion.”
Roads around the site of the blaze remained closed into Thursday morning (January 13).
Investigators from Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service are due to visit the scene to inspect the sub-station in an effort to establish the cause of the explosion.