Mansfield firefighters have issued a warning about discarded cigarettes after a blaze in Sherwood Pines Forest Park.
The alarm was raised at 5.20pm yesterday after players at Sherwood Forest Golf Club spotted smoke coming from a ‘large section’ of trees.
Fire crews from Mansfield battled to reach the fire in the south east end of the woodland and were detained until 7.45pm.
Watch manager Daz Warner said: “Although it’s quite wet on the ground any discarded cigarettes can still cause problems.
“Sherwood Pines is all open pathways and bridleways. This isn;t the first time this has happened and it’s a totally preventable fire.”