DCSIMG

Caution is urged during fire strikes

editorial image

editorial image

Fire chiefs have urged the public to be extra vigilant during a planned walkout by Fire Brigades Union (FBU) members on Friday.

Although all was calm during a strike between 7pm and midnight on Christmas Eve, with the service attending just three of eight 999 calls, Nottinghamshire Fire & Rescue has still urged caution.

Said Chief Fire Officer Frank Swann: “As in previous periods of industrial action by the FBU this year, the service has provided reduced operational cover responding to genuine 999 calls.

“We have had a quiet night and our crews coped well with the number of incidents we have attended.

“We hope to see a similar picture on 3rd January when members of the FBU will be carrying more strike action.”

Firemen will be walking out between 6.30am and 8.30am on Friday over a dispute with the government about planned changes to pensions which could see an increase in their pension contributions and in their retirement age from 55 to 60.

CFO Swann added: “I would again urge everyone to take extra care, both at home and while out and about on the roads this festive season to ensure a safe and happy time is had by all.

“Once again I would like to reiterate my hope that both parties can carry out the necessary negotiations as soon as possible to bring this dispute to a speedy and satisfactory conclusion.”

Sean McCallum, of Nottinghamshire Fire Brigades Union, told Chad striking was the only option without central government compromise.

betweereceiving The Service received eight 999 calls between 7pm and midnight, three of which required an operational response.

The response using specially recruited ‘contingency’ crews established to offer resilience during periods of industrial action, along with NFRS firefighters who are not members of the FBU.

They responded from various locations across the county, identified as appropriate bases for providing the most effective and resilient response with the number of resources available.

Chief Fire Officer Frank Swann said: “As in previous periods of industrial action by the FBU this year, the Service has provided reduced operational cover responding to genuine 999 calls.

“We have had a quiet night and our crews coped well with the number of incidents we have attended.

We hope to see a similar picture on New Year’s Eve and on 3 January when members of the FBU will be carrying out two more periods of strike action. These will be from 6.30 pm until half past midnight on New Year’s Eve and from 6.30 am ‘til 8.30 am on the 3rd.

“I would again urge everyone to take extra care, both at home and while out and about on the roads this festive season to ensure a safe and happy time is had by all.

“Once again I’d like to reiterate my hope that both parties can carry out the necessary

negotiations as soon as possible to bring this dispute to a speedy and satisfactory

conclusion.”

On Christmas Eve last year the Service attended three incidents in the same period,

and six in 2011. The number was eight in 2010 and six in 2009.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page