DCSIMG

Consultation on new homes plan for Bestwood Village

A former British Coal workshop site in Bestwood Village could be turned into housing development under new plans from a regeneration organisation.

St Modwen is to host a public consultation event to discuss its proposals to redevelop the site.

The company says it is planning to create up to 220 high quality family homes and include a number of affordable housing and new green spaces.

The public consultation takes place on Monday 20th January between 3pm and 6.45pm at Bestwood Village Community Centre, Moor Road.

Residents and other interested parties will be able to view an exhibition of the proposed development and provide feedback to members of the St Modwen project team, who will be on hand to answer any questions.

Richard Hickman, planning manager at St Modwen, said: “The proposed redevelopment of the brownfield former British Coal Workshop at Bestwood Village will be an extension to the existing residential community and will sit alongside homes in the village.

“Consulting with the public is an important part of the planning process, giving local people an opportunity to comment on our plans and provide feedback to assist St Modwen in finalising its outline planning application for submission in 2014.”

St Modwen’s extensive national portfolio includes the £2bn regeneration of New Covent Garden Market in London andthe £1bn transformation of Longbridge, Birmingham.

The location of the planned homes is a brownfield (already used) site and the number of homes is a reduction from 500 previously proposed for Bestwood.

It is hoped that St Modwen’s plans will safeguard Bestwood’s northern boundary, which would remain as farmland.

A consultation event was previously held in November, when some local residents suggested that a new school would have to be built because of the number of homes being planned.

Bestwood parish councillors have generally welcomed plans for new housing in the village.

Councillors discussed St Modwen’s plans to build up to 220 new family homes in the area during a meeting earlier this week.

But a note of caution was issued by Jack Ashworth of Bestwood Village Vision.

He said: “It would still increase the total of houses in Bestwood by 25 per cwent and the plan does not include any extra services.”

He also called on the council to fight to make sure the village received the maximum benefits available from the proposed scheme.

Chris Barnfather, who represents Bestwood on Notts County Council, said the original plan of up to 500 homes had meant a new school for the village was envisaged, but this was now unlikely to be thought justified by a lower number of proposed homes.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page