Students had to be evacuated from West Notts College following a ‘small fire’ in a laundry room this morning (Wednesday 15th January), a spokesman confirmed.
Crews from Mansfield Fire Station attended the incident at around 11am after the fire broke out in the hair and beauty salon area at the college’s Derby Road site.
College staff tackled the fire and nobody was injured, although some students were sent home for the day.
A spokesman said: “We can confirm that a small fire started in the laundry room within our hair and beauty salons at Derby Road this morning.
“It’s believed the fire was caused by a towel or robe falling down the back of a tumble dryer, causing it to overheat. The fire was quickly contained by college staff and did not spread to any other parts of the building.
“The fire service spent approximately 40 minutes checking the area was safe and clearing smoke from the building.
“Although the smoke is gradually clearing, the salons will remain closed for the remainder of today and students have been sent home. The salons will re-open tomorrow as usual.
“Nobody was injured as a result of the fire.
“We apologise for any disruption caused by the evacuation. However, the safety of students and staff is paramount.”