DCSIMG

Warehouse evacuated after spill

An acid spill at a Sutton warehouse took fire crews wearing breathing apparatus and chemical protections suits an hour and 45 minutes to clear up.

Employees were evacuated from the premises of Kuehne and Nagel on Orchard Way after firefighters from Ashfield and Stockhill were called to deal with a spillage of sulphuric acid at last Wednesday (15th May).

Crews used absorbent granules and mats were used to contain the chemical.

Nobody was hurt in the incident which happened at around 10.44pm.

A company spokesperson said a routine battery change, on a truck had resulted in a small spillage of a standard battery chemical.

She said: “ Kuehne and Nagel takes its health, safety and environment responsibilities very seriously. “The fire brigade were called and attended the site immediately.

“As a standard precautionary measure they advised employees to be cleared from the warehouse area, while they completed their assessment.

“The spillage was cleared by the fire officer and safely removed, in line with hazardous substance guidelines, using Kuehne and Nagel’s onsite spillage control equipment.” It is unclear how much acid was spilled from the 25-litre battery.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news