THE POPULAR Linby Heritage Centre opens for a new session on Sunday (May 6, 11 am to 4 pm) when the emphasis will be on the village’s rich seam of mining history.
The centre, which opens once a month during most of the year, will display photographs, memorabilia and equipment from Linby’s former colliery, which was sunk in 1868 and closed in 1987. It became the first pit, in 1961, to produce a million tonnes of coal in a year.
The venue, on Main Street, is housed in a restored former railway weighbridge. Admission is free.