OAPs at risk of gas explosions

editorial image
0
Have your say

NEARLY 2,000 over-65s in Bulwell and the rest of Nottingham have experienced a gas leak — with more than 7,000 at risk of an explosion or deadly carbon monoxide poisoning from their gas appliances.

Research by the Women’s Royal Voluntary Service (WRVS) reveals that 24% of pensioners in Nottingham with mains gas have an appliance in their home that needs attention.

It may not have been serviced or even safety-checked within the recommended period of time, which is at least once a year.

A campaign has been launched in the Midlands by WRVS and the Gas Safe Register, supported by the Gas Safe Charity, to raise awareness of gas safety among older people in the region.

The campaign will help to ‘educate’ over-65s who are not having appliances safety-checked, do not know the symptoms of carbon-monoxide poisoning or recognise the signs that a gas appliance might be dangerous.

The WRVS area manager for the Midlands, Sharon Sinclair, said: “Our research shows that many older, vulnerable people are putting their lives at risk by not having their gas appliances checked often enough.

“There is a clear need for people to learn more about gas safety so that they can spot the danger signs. That is why we have teamed up with the Gas Safe Register.”