One year on from Lindsey’s death

editorial image

A year has passed since Bulwell teenager Lindsey Inger was tragically killed .

The youngster was hit by a tram as she crossed the tracks at the former Bayles and Wylies level crossing at Bestwood ViIlage.

Lyndsey’s death shattered her family and the community, who stepped up calls for something to be done to the site to improve safety.

Two other people, Jean Hoggart and her eight-year-old grandson Michael Dawson, had also been killed there, in 2008.

Earlier this year, after lobbying from the community and local MP Mark Spencer, Network Rail built a footbridge at a cost of £1.5m.

At the time of her death, her family descibed her as “a girl in a million”.

Speaking to the Dispatch in the months following her foster daughter’s passing, Marlene Starling has told of her devastation of losing the teenager in such traumatic circumstances.

Marlene has said that she is still grieving and any time that milestones occur, the tragedy of events one year ago come back to her as if they were yesterday.

An investigation into the death revealed that Lindsey ‘did not react’ to a tram warning horn.

The report from the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) found that despite the driver’s attempts to sound the horn and flash his lights to warn the teenager, she was distracted and did not realise its approach.

The report said Lindsey “appeared to be unaware of the tram’s approach” and “may have been distracted”, though she had not been using a phone or headphones.

Speaking on the day of the anniversary, Mark Spencer said it was a time for reflection.

“It is good that progress has been made and the bridge is now open but it needs better lighting. I raised the point with Tramlink on Monday who said they would talk with the county council.

“One thing these tragedies have done is brought to the public’s attention how dangerous these crossings can be,” added Mr Spencer.

“I hope kids across the district reflect on what has happened locally when approaching train lines.”