Clipstone held in six-goal thriller with Worsbrough

Have your say

Clipstone put in a great team effort to earn a 3-3 NCEL Division One draw at Worsbrough Bridge on Saturday, with both sides having late opportunities to claim all three points.

The first two goal scoring chances went to Clipstone.

On 16 minutes Carl Haslam dispossessed Worsbrough’s right back Martin Sculley on the five yards inside the left wing, drove to the goal line inside the area and pulled his cross back towards Gavin King, who was just outside the six yard box, only to see a defender pick the ball off his toe and clear to safety.

Just two minutes later Steve Carty picked up the ball 30 yards out after a clearance from the home defence, and his looping effort went inches over the bar.

However, on 20 minutes Clipstone did fall behind. Right back Gary Armstrong lost possession 10 yards inside his own half, which left him out of position.

Worsbrough took full advantage, playing the ball out wide to Scott Turner, eventually getting his cross through to Adam Podmore to beat the last defender to the ball and swing his effort past keeper Ed Eley against the run of play.

Clipstone had the majority of the possession for the remainder of the first half, but had no end product to show for it.

But Brett Marshall’s half-time team talk must have resonated with the team right from the first whistle of the second half.

On 47 minutes Nathan Middleton played a through ball for Steve Carty to latch onto.

Even when it seemed the home defender had beaten him to the ball, somehow Carty got a low driving shot away and found the bottom right corner of the goal to make it 1-1.

Clipstone looked like a team possessed from that point on and on 52 minutes Carl Haslam picked up the ball 22 yards out, beat two defenders and fired low to the bottom right corner of the goal. Nine minutes later it was 3-1. Middleton found Haslam who played in Steve Carty who, when it looked easier to shoot, played the ball back to Haslam to again find the bottom right corner of the goal.

Worsbrough pulled one back on 65 minutes when a free kick was awarded against Liam Pride for a push 15 yards out. The floated cross found Lee Garside, who got his firm header away which keeper Eley saved but could not hold, which left a tap-in for the Worsbrough attacker.

Then on 82 minutes Worsbrough were awarded a dubious penalty as Lee Garside looked to have flung himself to the floor inside the penalty area. He picked himself up to send Eley the wrong way to bring parity to the game.

Both sides had chances to take all had points, Worsbrough going the closest, hitting the post in the dying seconds.