VIDEO: Clipstone left to rue missed chances

Clipstone were left to rue missed chances as they lost 3-1 at home to Pontefract Collieries in their home Toolsport Northern Counties League Division One clash.

Pontefract had the first chance of the game on 11 minutes when Rob Oldham ghosted past two defenders and, with a deft touch, tried to place his shot into the left corner of the goal, an effort that would have put the visitors ahead if it were not for a great save from Ed Eley.

FOOTBALL Clipstone v Pontefract

FOOTBALL Clipstone v Pontefract

This game ebbed and flowed in the first half hour with both sets of players working hard for their respective teams.

It was the away side who did eventually take the lead on 31 minutes after Brandan Shaw was adjudged to have mistimed his challenge on Liam Radford.

Brenton Leister dispatching the spot kick sending the keeper the wrong way.

That was a lead that lasted only 12 minutes as Ricky Chambers sent a quick thinking through ball to Carl Haslam wide on the left.

He beat two defenders and fired at goal. Pontefract’s keeper Craig parry saved well but could not keep hold of the ball which fell kindly to Gavin King to slot the ball home into an empty net.

The second half was very nearly a replica of the first half in the early stages.

This time it was Clipstone who had the early chances to add to the scoring.

On 51 minutes Jason Edwards won a corner with his tenacity.

Quickly taken by Carl Haslam to Nathan Millington on the right side of the area, his ferocious drive was well parried over by the visiting keeper.

Clipstone did have the ball in the net on 57 minutes as Carl Haslam broke through from the centre circle after a Liam Pride through ball.

He appeared onside by at least two yards but up went the assistant referee’s flag, and the the whistle went to disallow what should have been a great goal.

This seemed to have an effect on some of the Clipstone team and they were made to pay for those missed chances on 63 minutes when Pontefract’s Andy Catton found himself one-on-one with the last defender and his deflected shot squeezed past helpless keeper Eley.

Just five minutes later it was all over when Pontefracts Tom Agus ran 20 yards without a challenge to speak of and fired passed the keeper.

Clipstne did make two changes late on with Ian Hillier and Matt Austin replacing Nathan Millington and Ricky Chambers respectively, both of whom tried to make an impact to no avail.

CLIPSTONE: Eley, Pride, Shaw, R. Austin, Baugh, Chambers (M. Austin) Haslam, Carty, King, Edwards, Millington (Hillier).