Flies lured by Magnet of FA Cup

Scots Grey win FA Sunday Cup
Scots Grey win FA Sunday Cup

DREAMS of repeating one of local football’s most memorable moments come alive this weekend when the FA All-England Sunday Cup launches a new campaign.

Two years ago, Bulwell heroes Scots Grey performed miracles to become the first Nottinghamshire side ever to win the prestigious trophy.

After a nailbiting thriller of a final at Anfield, home of mighty Liverpool, that went to extra-time, Greys beat Merseyside outfit Oyster Martyrs 4-3.

Now the Dispatch district flag is carried in the tournament by Hucknall side PLOUGH BARFLIES, from the Notts Sunday Morning League’s (NSML) Premier Premier Division.

This is Barflies’ second foray into the FA Sunday Cup and they will be hoping for better fortune than their previous two attempts, which both resulted in defeats in their opening ties.

However they face a mountainous task on Sunday because they have been drawn away to Lincolnshire side Magnet Tavern, who reached the final in 2010 when they lost 4-2 to Hetton Lyons Cricket Club, from Durham. Ironically, Hetton Lyons were one of the teams Greys knocked out on their way to Anfield in 2009.

Magnet compete in the Spalding Sunday League and play their Sunday Cup ties at the Tattershall Road ground of Boston Town, who play in the United Counties League. Barflies are running a coach to the tie which leaves the Plough And Harrow pub on High Street, Hucknall at 11.30 am.

Dean Wealthall’s team limbered up for the big match by being handed a walkover in the Second Round of the Notts FA Sunday Senior County Cup because opponents, Nottingham Alumni, could not raise a side. And they were joined in the last 16 by their arch Hucknall rivals, T8S, who disposed of Crusader 6-0.

The two teams both hail from the top flight of the NSML but you would never have guessed it as T8s dominated from the off with a terrific performance.

It took them only seven minutes to break the deadlock as Greg Conn turned in the box to slot home. And it was 2-0 five minutes later as man-of-the-match Harry Allen started and finished a brilliant piece of football involving Conn and Gaz Hayes.

By half-time, T8s led 4-0 thanks to Andy Start, who marked his return from a five-week suspension by blasting home from ten yards, and Kyle McDermott, who fired home after a flick-on by targetman Jack Allen.

More chances were squandered in the second half and as T8s took their foot off the gas, goalkeeper Jake Pearson had to pull off some fantastic saves.

But they still added two more goals as Allen smashed home after being put through by substitute Danny Gamble, who was the architect again for Start’s cool second.

n T8S LINE-UP — Pearson J./ Thomas, Lamb, Hayes D., Brooks, Allen H., Hayes G., Conn, McDermott, Allen J., Start A. Subs: Gamble, Paterson, Jackson.