Mansfield put down Panthers

Mansfield Hockey Club beat Leicester Panthers 4-2 in their first encounter of the season on Saturday.

In the first half of the season they did not play due to Panthers having to concede the day before the game, therefore both teams came into the game not knowing their opponents.

Mansfield had a lot of the early possession and scored within the first 10 minutes with a deflection from the back post by Kyle Farquharson, the pass coming from Jono Oldham.

With both teams having lots of possession Mansfield struggled to get their passing game going as the Panthers players weren’t afraid to try hacking down the away side, sparking arguments, with both umpires getting involved to have words with both captains to calm their respective players down.

Just before the break Mansfield scored their second goal of the game courtesy of Farquharson.

After a tougher start to the second half for Mansfield, they conceded to a goal created by some good passing through the centre of the pitch.

Panthers continued to attack, but five minutes after pulling one goal back, they went further behind as Farquharson completed his hat trick.

A great tackle from Richard younger deep inside the Mansfield half created space for him to pass wide left and then forward to Farquharson, who ran 20 yards, taking the ball past players and the goa keeper before putting it into the back of the net.

Mansfield’s confidence strengthened and with 10 minutes left they won a short corner, Jason Ward placing the ball down the left hand side for Mark Greasby supplying the finish.

The game started to slow down and Panthers did manage to find the net for a second time, but it was only a consolation goal.

Mansfield also had a game on Sunday, linking with women from Ashfield Aztecs Hockey Club to play in the Mixed XI’s cup.

Opponents where Barford Tigers whose men’s team currently play three leagues higher than Mansfield’s men.

However, Mansfield ran riot throughout the game with the first goal coming within the first minute. Barford never showed any real threat and the score was 8-1 at half-time and the final score 12-3 with Saturday’s hat-trick scorer Farquharson excelling, scoring six goals.