Station lift knockout cup after two-legged thriller

The first trophy of the pool league season went to Station Hotel (Huicknall) B
The first trophy of the pool league season went to Station Hotel (Huicknall) B
Have your say

The first trophy of the HUCKNALL EPA POOL LEAGUE season has been won by Station Hotel (Hucknall) B after a thrilling Knockout Cup final.

For the first time, the final was played over two legs. And punters definitely got their money’s worth as Station took each match 4-3 against fellow title-chasers Park Tavern for an aggregate win of 8-6.

Tavern got off to a flying start in the opening leg at their home venue, surging into a 3-1 lead with the help of an eight-ball clearance by Chris Rigby.

However, Station stormed back to take the next three frames, courtesy of Roger Green, Tim McShane and Andrea Green, to give them a crucial advantage for the return leg a week later on their own table.

McShane extended the advantage to 5-3 on the opening frame and although Billy Wood and then Joe Etherington kept Tavern’s chances alive, their wins only sandwiched an eight-ball clearance by Danny Butler that confirmed Station’s supremacy.

Simon Thompson made it 7-5 and after defeat for Dave Butler, the tie was sealed by Sean Chauntry, who defeated Rigby in the final frame.

LEAGUE leaders Royal British Legion B faced bottom-of-the-table Chequers in the final of the Mellors Bicknell Shield for teams who were knocked out in the First Round of the Knockout Cup.

And after a tight first leg, which Legion shaded 4-3, they powered home 6-1 in the second leg for an aggregate victory of 10-4.

Plucky Chequers led 2-1 at one stage thanks to Ben Hathersmith and Chris Reedman. But from then on, Legion took command, with Reedman the only winner for the home side in the second leg.

Wayne Cartledge, Dean Dymock, Geoff Taylor and John Toulson struck for the winners in the opening leg before Colin Draycott, Dave Stacey-King, Cartledge, Mark Hardstaff, Malc Grocock and Dymock did the business in the second.