BULWELL boxer Shane McPhilbin looks as though he will have to do battle against former world champion Enzo Maccarinelli in the first defence of his British cruiserweight title.
McPhilbin (pictured) took the title in a shock victory last month and manager Carl Greaves wanted him to make a voluntary defence against Romford’s Tony Conquest.
But the bout has been rejected by BoxNation, who do not consider it a top-of-the-bill fight.
Promoter Frank Warren, is keen on McPhilbin v Maccarinelli.
Known as ‘the Big Mac’, Welshman Maccarinelli has had 18 world title fights, but has never won a British title.
He was stopped in two rounds by David Haye for the WBC and WBO titles and was knocked out in seven by Alexander Frenkel when he challenged for the European title in 2010.
McPhilbin wanted Conquest as his first defence, but is happy to take on Maccarinelli.
“He is one of my heroes,” he said. “He can still bang, but I’m not scared to get in the ring with anybody.”
McPhilbin (26) was crowned British cruiserweight champion in January in a sensational upset at the York Hall in Bethnal Green, London.
He was only pitched into the title-fight at the last minute as a substitute challenger to the defending champion, Leon ‘Solid’ Williams.
The likeable fighter, who is known as ‘Mr Block’, played second fiddle for most of the 12-round fight and suffered two knockdowns.
But then, in a dramatic final round, as the Streatham-based Williams tired, McPhilbin conjured up a surprise stoppage-victory.
Boxing is in McPhilbin’s blood, four of his uncles were fighters as well as his late father Mick, who passed away in 2006.
Speaking at the time, McPhilbin said it was the best thing that had happened in his life.
The McPhilbin v Maccarinelli bout is rumoured to be scheduled for Tuesday March 13 at a venue in Wolverhampton, but has yet to be confirmed.