A Bulwell man who was locked in custody for three months on charges of attempted robbery and assault has walked free from Nottingham Crown Court.
Adam Hudson, 25, of Hornbeam Gardens, appeared in the dock for what was scheduled to be a two-day trial to probe a clash with a woman he knew.
But the complexion of his case changed after a key witness, the alleged victim, failed to turn up and his barrister, Felicity Campbell, mitigating, negotiated a compromise deal with the prosecutor.
Hudson had already pleaded guilty to assaulting Sarah Inger by beating her at Bulwell on Friday, August 28 last year, but denied attempting to rob her of a purse and handbag, value unknown, on the same date,
The court heard that, under the deal, he agreed to plead guilty to the lesser charge of theft, rather than attempted robbery. However, Gurdal Singh, prosecuting, said Miss Inger had “voluntarily absented herself” from the court hearing and, therefore, he offered no evidence. As a result, the judge, Recorder Peter Cooke, formally dismissed the charge.
With regard to the assault, the judge sentenced Hudson to two months’ imprisonment. But because he had already served three months in custody while on remand, he was allowed to go home.
Briefly outlining the details of the assault, Recorder Cooke said: “This was a chance encounter in a convenience store between Hudson and Miss Inger, who were known to each other.
“There was a manifestation of hostility and he ended up giving her a shove outside the store. He has a record which shows some inability to control his temper.”