Attacked man with meat-cleaver on tram

A PASSENGER caused mayhem on a Hucknall and Bulwell tram when he attacked a man with a meat cleaver, Nottingham Crown Court heard.

Jonathan Lay (28), who pulled the newly-bought blade from a pushchair, left the victim, Keith Harvey, with a broken arm and cuts to the bone.

Lay, of Woodfield Road, Broxtowe Estate, was appearing for sentence after he pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to causing grievous bodily harm.

He was given an indefinite sentence "for public protection", set at a minimum of four years before parole can be considered.

Judge Dudley Bennett told him: "You armed yourself with what can only be described as a deadly weapon.

"Witnesses described you as out of control and high on drink and drugs. This caused people to flee from the tram, terrified for what you were going to do with that meat cleaver."

Also before the court were Gillian Bone (23), of Tewkesbury Drive, Basford, and Simon Matthews (20), of Warwick Close, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, who both admitted affray.

Bone also pleaded guilty to common assault on a friend of Mr Harvey during the unprovoked tram attack on the night of Tuesday July 17.

The court heard that Mr Harvey had been for a Chinese meal with friends and was returning home on the tram when Lay, who was known to him, made an insulting remark.

Lay punched Mr Harvey in the mouth and Bone kneed a friend of Mr Harvey repeatedly in the face.

It was then that Lay grabbed the cleaver and Matthews joined in, pulling Mr Harvey to the floor.

Lay hacked at Mr Harvey's arm four times with the cleaver before the victim ran from the tram and jumped on another, travelling in the opposite direction.

He needed surgery for his injuries but is expected to make a full recovery.

Bone, who is pregnant with her second child, was jailed for 12 months, and Matthews was given 18 months in a young offenders' institution.

Simon Eckersley, for Matthews, said his client had tried to calm Lay down four times.

Bone's counsel, Martin Elwick, said she accepted it was a "disgraceful episode".

The attack was captured on the tram's CCTV cameras and the police thanked witnesses who came forward to help with the investigation.

"I hope they, and also the victims, feel the sentences are just," said Det Con Heather Robson.

"Too often it is overlooked how stressful and hard it can be, as victims of crime or as witnesses, to pursue things like this and be prepared to go to court to give their evidence."