Boy mauled in dog attack

A VICIOUS attack by a dog left a two-year-old Hucknall boy needing 32 stitches to gaping wounds on his face.

Toddler Curtis Martin was playing at the home of a neighbour when the Staffordshire bull terrier leapt at him.

Covered in blood, Curtis, of Laughton Crescent, was rushed to the Queen’s Medical Centre (QMC) in Nottingham.

Doctors had to tackle a severe tear to his face. The boy needed 16 stitches under the skin and 18 stitches on top.

His dad, Brian (22), was at work at the time the dog attacked. Ironically he is a cleaner at the QMC.

He got a phone-call from his wife, Chantelle (25), to tell him what had happened.

“It was like a living nightmare,” said Brian. “At first, I didn’t believe what she was telling me.

“I couldn’t accept it had happened until I saw his face.

“It has made a real mess. All we are concentrating on now is Curtis getting better.”

The youngster has been in an out of hospital since the dog attacked because he now has an infection in the wound.

He is currently back at the QMC and is being given regular doses of antibiotics.

Brian told the Dispatch: “We don’t know when Curtis will be discharged. Becuase his wounds were caused by a dog bite, there is a higher risk of infection.

“Doctors do not want the infection to spread to his eye and blind him.

“We can’t believe this has happened. We have known our neighbours for three years and there have never been any problems with the dog before.”

The attack happened at 4.30 pm on Monday February 28.

Curtis had been around the dog before and the pet lived in a household with four children. It was described as placid.

No-one saw the attack. It is unclear how it came about and whether or not Curtis did anything to antagonise the animal.

The pet’s owner immediately took the two-year-old and Chantelle to the accident and emergency department at the QMC by car.

The owner then contacted the police himself to report the attack and indicated that he would have the dog put down. It has now been destroyed.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire police said the view was taken that because the attack had not happened in public and the animal was to be put down, there was no need for an investigation.