Bulwell bank robber jailed for a minimum of seven years

editorial image

A CONVICTED robber who robbed a Bulwell bank while on the run from prison has been jailed indefinitely.

Eithan Teanby was serving a sentence at HMP North Sea Camp in Boston for robbery, GBH and assault when he failed to return after being released for the weekend.

The 41-year-old went on to rob a Post Office in Lincolnshire and a bank in Bulwell as well as attempting to rob another bank in Nottingham city centre.

Teanby admitted two counts of robbery and one count of attempted robbery at a previous hearing.

He appeared at Nottingham Crown Court on Friday (11th January), where he was handed an indeterminate jail sentence and told to serve a minimum of seven years.

DC Adam Cooper, who was involved in the investigation, said: “Teanby was a violent and prolific criminal who wasn’t deterred from committing further crimes by the fact he was wanted by two different police forces.

“He brazenly targeted both the Post Office and the banks in broad daylight and in one case waited in line, posing as a customer, before seizing his moment.

“However, his short-lived crime spree ended when an eagle-eyed officer saw him loitering around the city centre and arrested him.”

Teanby failed to return to the Boston open prison on 21st May 2012.

On the same day he raided East Common Lane Post Office, in Scunthorpe, where he threatened and seriously injured two staff members.

Teanby then travelled to Nottingham, where he attempted to rob Santander Bank, in Clumber Street, on 29th May 2012.

He posed as a customer and waited to see a cashier. He then pretended to have a firearm in his pocket and demanded money from the till.

The convicted robber made off empty-handed, but went on to rob the Halifax bank, in Commercial Road, Bulwell, on 30th May 2012.

He leapt onto the counter, leaned over the glass panel and threatened the cashier with a knife.

Teanby fled the bank with cash, dropping several bank notes as he ran along Commercial Road.

He was arrested on Sunday 3th June.

Teanby was given an indeterminate sentence and told to serve a minimum of seven years for the two counts of robbery and one count of attempted robbery.

He was also jailed for two-and-a-half-years after admitting two counts of possession of a bladed article. The sentences are to run concurrently.