DANNY PAREKH MURDER TRIAL LATEST: Pair face retrial after jury is discharged

Danny Parekh
Danny Parekh

A BULWELL man and a 16-year-old face a retrial after a murder trial jury was discharged from reaching verdicts at Lincoln Crown Court today (Monday).

Joshua Davey was alleged to have stabbed father-of-one Danny Parekh 16 times, leaving him with fatal injuries in an incident at the Oakleigh Street Play Park in Old Basford.

The attack was alleged to have been revenge for an earlier incident in which Mr Parekh humiliated the teenager in front of the boy’s friends.

But today (Monday) Judge Michael Heath discharged the jury for legal reasons.

Davey and the boy will now face a new trial on a date to be arranged.

Joshua Davey (20), who at the time was living on Deptford Crescent, Bulwell, and the boy, aged 16, both denied murder on 7th July last year.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be identified, also denied encouraging or assisting to carry out an assault on Mr Parekh and a further charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm to a teenage girl by kicking her in the face.

During the trial, the prosecutor John Pini told the jury that although the older youth wielded the knife the 16 year old was just as guilty of murder

Mr Pini said: “The young man who wielded the knife in the play area and stabbed Danny Parekh was Joshua Davey but this was in every sense a joint attack by these two.

“The boy had a score to settle that night with Danny Parekh. A short time earlier he had been hit to the head with a metal pole by Danny Parekh.

“Danny Parekh had done that in front of a group of the boy’s friends including some females.

“It was not a serious assault. It did not cause much by way of physical injury but his pride was very badly hurt.

“He was humiliated in front of the girls. The boy left the scene and went and fetched Joshua Davey and told Davey he had just been hit by Danny Parekh.

“The two of them set out together to locate Danny Parekh to exact revenge upon him.”

The jury was told that within hours of the killing both defendants had left Nottingham. Davey was later arrested in Malaga, Spain, while the boy was detained in Mansfield.