Dog-walkers in Hucknall and Bulwell have been warned by a woman whose pet fell seriously ill after drinking water in a stream that might be contaminated by chemicals.
Celia Roussel (44), of Shortwood Avenue, Hucknall, regularly takes her two dogs to the Farleys Lane nature reserve on a popular trail that heads towards Bulwell Hall Park.
But one of them, two-year-old Oscar, has spent this week on an intravenous drip and antibiotics at the vet’s. And she is convinced that a stream, which runs close to the nearby runway on the Rolls-Royce airfield, poisoned him.
“I always let them off their leads, and Oscar dives in to drink the water,” explained Celia, who is a radiographer.
“But last week, the water was running a strange grey colour, turning all the stones white, and on Monday, it had turned blue.
“I have been walking my dogs there for three years, and I’ve never known it to run this colour.
“People need to be warned. I find it hard to believe that someone has not dumped some kind of chemicals in there. Wildlife, such as water voles, are also in danger.”
Hours after his walk on Monday, Oscar, who is a Lhasa Apso, was vomiting, couldn’t eat and was suffering from diarrhoea. He was rushed to the PDSA at midnight and has been receiving treatment at the Orchard Veterinary Centre on Vine Terrace since Tuesday.
“He should be all right in the end, but he was so bad that he was passing blood,” said Celia.
“My other dog, a three-year-old Lhasa Apso called Lotty, is fine, but she doesn’t go in the water. If it was an airborne virus that Oscar has picked up, surely she would have been ill too.
“The Environment Agency need to go and see this stream. When I rang them, they said they had received several other calls about it in the last three months.”
A spokesman for the Environment Agency said: “We are aware of this and we are carrying out an investigation.”