Family hit by second death-crash tragedy

APPEAL -- police want help from witnesses in piecing together what happened to Graham Outram-Goss
APPEAL -- police want help from witnesses in piecing together what happened to Graham Outram-Goss

A DEVASTATED Hucknall woman, whose son died in a road accident six years ago, is now having to come to terms with the death of her husband, who has also been killed in a smash.

Pedestrian Graham Outram-Goss (60), of Broxtowe Drive, was involved in a collision with a Ford Fiesta and a Ford Focus on the section of Hucknall bypass between Wood Lane and Watnall Road at 7.40pm on Wednesday March 9.

He was pronounced dead at the scene and no-one else was injured in the collision.

The tragedy has hit the family hard, particularly Mr Outram-Goss’s wife, Rosemarie.

For in January 2005, she was sent reeling when her 18-year-old son, Simon Outram, was killed at the accident blackspot Annesley bypass near to its Newstead turning.

The spot where Mr Outram-Goss was killed is just a few hundred yards away from where Simon died.

This week, Rosemarie (48), said that she had been house-sitting when police called to inform her that her husband had been killed.

She said: “I just couldn’t believe it — I still can’t. I am really going to miss him. I was really hoping it wasn’t him when I went to identify the body.”

The couple met as neighbours on Broxtowe Drive and romance blossomed from there. They were married in 1982. Mr Outram-Goss, who was originally from London, was a train fanatic and loved heritage.

The cause of his death was multiple injuries and Nottinghamshire Coroner, Dr Nigel Chapman, opened and adjourned an inquest into his death on Wednesday.

“He was quite a man,” said Mrs Outram-Goss. “But when he started talking, we couldn’t stop him.”

Simon Outram, who was an electrical engineer also from Broxtowe Drive, was travelling in the rear of a Peugeot 106 with three friends when the vehicle collided with a Renault 21. He died four days later at the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham after suffering a brain haemorrhage and a fractured skull. The other passengers also suffered injuries but survived the accident.

An inquest at Mansfield’s Civic Centre in September 2005 was told that the newly-qualified driver had ‘misjudged’ the traffic, which led to the accident. Nottinghamshire’s assistant deputy coroner, Martin Gotheridge, recorded a verdict of accidental death.

l Anyone with information should call the crash investigation unit on 0300 3009999 (exension 816 2225) or the free and confidential Crimestoppers hotline n 0800 555111.