Jailed for kicking clubber in head in brutal attack

Daniel Krause
Daniel Krause

A BULWELL man who kicked a nightclubber in the head while he lay unconscious in the street late at night, has been jailed for five years.

Daniel Krause (21) was also seen on CCTV to go through his victim’s pockets before running off when the police arrived.

Krause (pictured), of Harewood Avenue, Highbury Vale was one of three men jailed for the attack in Mansfield following a confrontation outside Illusions nightclub.

Judge John Milmo told them: “This is yet another case where young men go out, get themselves drunk, do what they do and are then horrified when they see themselves on CCTV.”

Victim Paul Waring was lucky to suffer only a broken nose, black eyes and soreness, Nottingham Crown Court was told.

But the judge told Krause; “Death is not an uncommon result when kicking to the head takes place.”

Krause pleaded guilty to attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent.

His brother, Ricky Krause (25), of Larkfield Avenue, Kirkby-in-Ashfield and Michael Hadley (26), of Common Walk, Top Valley, admitted assault causing actual bodily harm and were jailed for nine months and two years respectively.

All had been to the nightclub and by 3 am were worse for drink or drugs or both, said Mark A’Church (prosecuting).

The victim was worse for alcohol and had no recollection of what happened.

Door staff took him out of the club and Ricky Krause became involved in a stand-off with him.

Mr Waring lashed out with his head, cutting Krause above his eye, the court was told. Krause responded by punching him in the head before doorstaff let Mr Waring go.

Film footage showed him walking down the street before Daniel Krause ran up behind him and knocked him to the ground, punching and kicking at him.

A bystander tried to act as peacemaker and a woman shouted at then to stop.

Hadley lifted the victim up, like a punchbag said the judge, while the Krause brothers each threw a punch at him.

The victim was then thrown to the ground ‘like a sack of potatoes,’ said Mr A’Church.

The three accused were arrested nearby. Daniel Krause had served two years in the past for aggravated burglary and had punched and headbutted teachers at school, the court heard.

His barrister, Martin Elwick, said it took a great deal of courage to plead guilty to attempted grievous bodily harm with intent. “Thankfully the complainant did not suffer serious harm,” he added.