Killer dad has his jail term increased

COLD-BLOODED KILLER -- Sanchez Williams
COLD-BLOODED KILLER -- Sanchez Williams

A COLD-blooded dad from Bulwell who murdered his former partner in front of their two-year-old daughter has had his minimum prison-sentence increased.

Sanchez Williams (27), of Lathkill Close, beat 21-year-old Casey Brittle to death in a brutal attack.

Their toddler could be heard screaming and shouting “I want my mummy” as Williams delivered the blood-curdling battering at Miss Brittle’s home on Springfield Street, New Basford, in the early hours of Sunday October 3 last year.

At Nottingham Crown Court in March, Williams pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to life behind bars with a minimum of 15 years before he could apply for parole.

He decided to appeal against the punishment. But when his case came before the Court of Appeal in London, the minimum time to be served was extended to 20 years.

The Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, said that the 15-year minimum imposed was “unduly lenient”.

At the original sentencing hearing, Williams was condemned as “cowardly” by Judge Michael Stokes.

The court heard that Miss Brittle suffered horrendous injuries during what was a prolonged attack.

On four occasions during the beating, the couple’s daughter walked into the room. Each time, Williams led her out and assured her things were OK.

But Miss Brittle was dying. After the attack, her daughter lay at the foot of her mum’s bed and fell asleep.

Eventually an ambulance was called but Miss Brittle died on her way to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.

A post-mortem revealed she sustained a succession of blows to the head. Part of her ear was missing, she had cuts above both eyes, which were swollen shut, and her jaw was fractured in two places.

Judge Stokes said that he had dealt with 70 murder cases but there were few others in which he had heard of such brutal injuries being inflicted by someone’s hand.

He told Williams: “She (Miss Brittle) was in no position at all to defend herself.”

The court heard there had been a history of violence in the four-year relationship between Williams and Miss Brittle.

Things came to a head on that October morning when a neighbour was woken by screaming. Shouting and violence continued for 40 minutes.

Williams gave himself up to police the next day. His daughter, who is now three, is being cared for by Miss Brittle’s mother.