Knife waved as row sparks three-hour ordeal

A BULWELL man who subjected his partner to a frightening three-hour ordeal during which he waved a knife around and smashed up her home has avoided being sent to prison.

Brian Giles (39), of Severn Street, admitted common assault and criminal damage.

Nottingham Crown Court heard that Giles and the woman, who have since split up, became embroiled in an argument on Friday August 5.

But Giles, who had been drinking vodka, threw a piece of a broken chair at his victim and spat at her during the attack.

District Judge Morris Cooper sentenced Giles to a 40-day prison sentence, suspended for a year, and said there was “no doubt” the woman had suffered psychologically as a result of the ordeal.

He said to Giles: “This lasted nearly three hours, over which your behaviour was appalling.

“You were smashing property all over the place.”

The court heard that Giles and the woman, who has not been named, had known each other for more than 20 years but had only been in a relationship for a year.

On the day of the attack, Giles started to taunt the woman and, while grinding his teeth, lunged towards her.

Eileen Stewart (prosecuting) said that the defendant went to the kitchen and picked up a ten-inch knife and began to wave it around.

“She (the victim) dialled 999 and said to Giles ‘I’m calling the police’,” said Miss Stewart. “He replied: ‘it will take a lot of them to take me’.

Giles, who works as a machine driver in the construction industry, admitted picking up the knife but he denied having brandished it against his ex-partner.

He also claimed he was aiming to throw the chair leg to one side and did not mean to direct it towards his victim.

The court heard that Giles repeatedly punched a door, which broke, and damaged a microwave.

He had not drunk alcohol for eight months before the day of the attack and the woman confirmed that Giles had not been violent towards her previously.

District Judge Cooper took into consideration the fact Giles had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity in deciding his sentence.

But he warned the 39-year-old that the offences had come close to resulting in an immediate prison sentence.

He told Giles that he would find himself behind bars if he is hauled before the courts again.

“My view is that this is on the custodial category of seriousness,” District Judge Cooper said to Giles.

As part of the suspended prison sentence, Giles will come under the supervision of the probation service for 13 months.

He has also been ordered to pay £100 compensation to his victim and £85 towards court costs.