Man hauled before courts over illegal woodland ‘rave’

POLICE close off the road during the party
POLICE close off the road during the party

A MAN who organised a ‘rave’ which resulted in the emergency closure of the bypass between Hucknall and Annesley for 12 hours has appeared in court.

Carl Johnson (34), of Mile Ash Lane, Darley Abbey, in Derbyshire, pleaded guilty at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court to conducting an unauthorised licensable activity.

The event, which was held in Annesley Forest on the morning of Sunday November 6 last year, resulted in the closure of the A611 dual carriageway shortly after midnight by police after reports that cars had been parked on the verges of the road by people attending the event.

The Nottinghamshire police helicopter was deployed and it was established that hundreds of people were present at what appeared to be a ‘rave’-style party, prompting additional concerns that revellers might walk out into the road while under the influence of alcohol.

The road did not fully re-open until the afternoon.

Following his guilty plea, Johnson was given a 12-month supervision order and the magistrates also told him he must complete 180 hours of unpaid work.

Hucknall’s police chief, Insp Nick Butler said: “This event caused severe disruption to a major road through this part of Nottinghamshire, but it could have been so much worse.

“We were fortunate the parking of cars on the dual carriageway did not result in a crash or that anyone was injured walking out into the road.

“Neither we nor the licensing authorities were notified that the event would be taking place, and it took some time for us to establish who was responsible for organising it.

“As a result it required a substantial police response.

“We were required not only to establish what was happening but to ensure public safety by maintaining the road closure until it was deemed that the risk to road users and pedestrians had passed.

“In addition, the event has necessitated a relatively lengthy police investigation.

”I am very pleased that the person responsible for staging this unauthorised event and, as such, being indirectly responsible for a lengthy and major road closure — not to mention the cost to the taxpayer — has been brought before the court and dealt with by magistrates.”