NEWS UPDATE: Police name death-crash victim

editorial image

A 22-YEAR-old man who was killed in a late-night car-crash on the accident blackspot Annesley bypass has been named by police.

Jack Ashley (pictured below), of Sutton-in-Ashfield, was in a Ford Focus car that veered off the road and collided with a tree on the A611. The vehicle was found in a field.

Jack Ashley

Jack Ashley

The crash happened just before midnight on Tuesday (February 28). Mr Ashley was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 22-year-old woman, who was also in the silver Focus, model ST170, was taken to King’s Mill Hospital, Sutton-in-Ashfield with minor injuries.

Police believe another vehicle was involved in the collision — a silver Honda Civic Type-R, which has been recovered from the scene of the accident.

They arrested four people — a man and woman, both aged 23, and two 24-year-old men — on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. The quartet have now been released on police bail pending further enquiries.

The accident happened on the northbound carriageway of Annesley bypass, heading towards Annesley and the turn-off for junction 27 of the M1, about half a mile from what is known as ‘Kodak Corner’.

The road was closed off at the Newstead junction for eight hours and traffic was diverted through Newstead and via Annesley Cutting. The road finally re-opened at 7.50 am on Wednesday.

Earlier in the night, both vehicles were seen leaving Nottingham city centre in convoy between 11 pm and 11.30 pm, travelling north along Mansfield Road.

The cars then travelled along Hucknall Road and onto Hucknall bypass before joining Annesley bypass.

Officers investigating the death-crash are appealing for anyone who witnessed the accident or may have seen the vehicles to contact them immediately. They are particularly interested in anyone who saw the cars on Hucknall bypass.

Eyewitnesses with information should call the crash investigation team on the non-emergency number, 101 (extension 800 2225).

Alternatively, ring the free and confidential Crimestoppers hotline on 0800 555111.

The 60mph road has gained a reputation for accidents in recent years. Traffic lights were installed at its junction with Hucknall Road in April 2006 after three deaths in little over two years.

In December 2003, Angela Rawlinson (32), of Newstead, was killed when her learner-driver sister was adjudged in a subsequent court case to have left it too late to turn into Hucknall Road, causing an accident.

In January 2005, 18-year-old Hucknall man Simnon Outram died when a Peugeot 106 car, in which he was a back-seat passenger, collided with another car.

And the following January, 35-year-old Hucknall pedestrian Trevor Corah, of Willow Avenue, died after a collision with a bus.

Notts County Council spent £170,000 on alterations to the bypass’s Hucknall Road junction in 2006.