PARK MURDER: 15-year-old suspect released on bail

THE SCENE of the murder off Oakleigh Street
THE SCENE of the murder off Oakleigh Street

A 15-YEAR-old boy has been released on bail pending further inquiries after being arrested in connection with the murder of a Bulwell man.

The victim, Danny Parekh (21), pictured, was found with a wound to his leg in a children’s park off Oakleigh Street on the Bulwell-Basford border soon after 1 am on Sunday. He was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, but later died.

VICTIM Danny Parekh

VICTIM Danny Parekh

Police carried out a full forensic search of the park. Officers are also viewing CCTV footage and high-visibility patrols are running in the area.

A 34-year-old mother-of-two, who did not want to be named, said she was at home when she heard a girl crying on the nearby park for about five minutes.

Her husband went to see what was happening and found Mr Parekh, who tried to sit up but then slumped down.

Another resident said she was so shocked by the tragedy that she intended to move out of the area straight away with her children because she wanted them ‘away from here’.

The wording of floral tributes placed at the scene includes ‘Always in our thoughts’ and ‘Gone but never forgotten’.

Mr Parekh was described by family members and friends as a ‘great, humble lad who would do anything for anybody’.

One friend, Tanny Smith (25), of Top Valley, said: “He was a good guy, always up for a laugh and a joke. His death has come as a complete shock to me.”

Mr Parekh’s former fiancée, Melissa Freeman (18), of Raithby Close, Bestwood Park Estate, said: “I can’t believe he has died. I’m still waiting for him to call or text me.”

She first met Mr Parekh — the father of her two-year-old son, Antwon — when she was 14 and he eventually proposed to her on the dance-floor stage at the wake of her grandfather’s funeral.

After splitting up last year, the couple got back together in January but the relationship came to an end again about three weeks ago.

Ms Freeman last saw her former partner last Friday when she dropped Antwon off at Mr Parekh’s mother’s house on Thorner Close, on Bulwell’s Highbury Vale Estate, where he was then living.

She added that it was difficult to explain the tragedy to Antwon, who keeps asking “Where has daddy gone?”

Despite the arrest of the 15-year-old, detectives are keen to speak to several people who were in the area at the time and may have witnessed what happened.

A dedicated e-mail address has been set up in an incident room at

Anyone with information is asked to contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101 (extension 811 1945) or call the free and confidential Crimestoppers hotline on 0800 555111.