Concerns by residents has led to a police response following the stabbing of a man in Bulwell.
Police were called to the area of Brook Close in Bulwell yesterday evening (Monday, June 28) and officers cordoned off a section of Seller's Wood Drive between Brook Close and Crabtree Road, and a 51-year-old man has been taken to Nottingham's Queen's Medical Centre with injuries 'not believed to be life-threatening'.
And after pleas for more police visibility in the area, Nottinghamshire officers have allayed fears and say a patrol plan is in place.
Insp James Woolley, Neighbourhood Policing Inspector for Nottingham North, said: “Last night’s incident in Bulwell is believed to be an isolated offence which is currently being investigated by CID detectives, having been attended by response units within minutes of the 999 call being received by the force control room at around 6pm on Tuesday (28 June). A patrol plan designed to increase visibility and provide reassurance has been devised by myself, the Neighbourhood Policing Inspector for Nottingham North, and is being delivered today by the neighbourhood policing team.
“Residents in Bulwell can be also reassured that the force, including all of its uniformed and investigative units, supported by the East Midlands regional policing services teams, will continue to respond to the needs of the local community as and when offences and incidents are reported to us. It may be that because of demand elsewhere in the city and county, we do not attend incidents where life and property is not at risk. In this instance, we were at the scene extremely quickly.
“There were only two reported offences in Bulwell involving knives during April and May (the figures for June have not yet been validated) and a further two between 1 January and March 31. There were seven recorded knife crime incidents in Bulwell between April and June 2015.
“Nottinghamshire is one of only three forces nationally which could report a fall in crime during 2015/16, which is reflective of the excellent work being done in all our communities to deter the small minority of individuals who are responsible for the overwhelming majority of crimes committed in the force area.
“We are very keen to hear from anyone who knows anything about this incident. They should telephone Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 655 of 28 June. Alternatively, they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”
Neighbours have told of their shock after the stabbing and made a call for more police in the area.
A witness on nearby Newmarket Road, whose house backs onto the road described the scene to us.
Mark, who is unemployed, said: "It's part and parcel now. That's Bulwell. It's become so the cops don't come here at all."
Another neighbour who lives nearby, Dean, 36, said: "It makes me very concerned. The kids have to go under the subway for school, it shows you what the area's become. I can't get a takeaway because they won't deliver here - one of their drivers was robbed on this street and they won't come back.
"It takes someone getting stabbed to get the police out here."
A grandmother who asked not to be named told of her shock as she returned home to find the crime scene.
She said: "When I came back it was still there at about 7.40pm.
"My neighbour said the driver of the minibus was attacked as well.
"It makes me feel scared, I can't believe it's so close to home. Bulwell is getting worse. We need more police, this is a problem-area."
East Midlands Ambulance service said: "We were called at 5.58pm to an area facing Brook Close, Sellers Wood Drive., the caller reported that a man had been assaulted. A doctor and ambulance crew were sent to the emergency. The patient was taken by ambulance with a police escort to Queens Medical Centre." There was no record of a second victim.
Police have also confirmed earlier reports of a woman being hurt on a minibus on the street but say the matter is unconnected.
There is still no arrest after the incident.