A teenager who suffered convulsions and blackouts after having her drink spiked on a night out is warning other girls to be vigilant in the run-up to Christmas.
Sophie Daly, 18, has spoken of her ordeal ahead of the festive season urging young drinkers to be on their guard while out partying.
She said: “I can’t really remember what happened to me and that feels very scary. I was lucky because my friends took care of me but someone else in the same position might not be so fortunate.
“It still frightens me now and I haven’t been out since.”
Sophie, a sports journalism student at the University of Huddersfield, was on a night out with friends in the West Yorkshire town when she was targeted during a quiet drink.
She had been out with friends from the university’s netball squad when she suddenly felt very drunk. Friends helped her into a taxi, but when she arrived home, her flatmates realised that she was struggling to walk and her behaviour was becoming increasingly erratic.
She was taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary but claims she was left unattended for hours in the hospital’s accident and emergency department and was then sent home to recover on her own without being offered any medical treatment.
Added Sophie, who comes from Belton: “I was left feeling sick, disorientated and vacant for days afterwards and kept having muscle spasms. It happened two weeks ago and I have been off university since and haven’t been out since then.
“I am determined to go out again soon because I don’t want it to spoil my life but it has frightened me and I am going to be a lot more cautious next time I go out.
“I can’t remember much about being at the hospital - I keep getting flashbacks here and there but I wasn’t very happy with the way I was treated and left on my own to deal with it.”
She has now lodged a formal complaint with Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
Sophie added: “Trying to come to terms with what I went through was a hard process. No one should even have to think about someone doing such a thing, but it happens and I would hate for someone else to go through what I did.”
“I was always the type to never think anything like this would happen to me, but this is not the first time I have been spiked. Since the three years ago which it happened the first time, I have been very cautious when out in town. It just shows that you can still be careful yet someone can still be sneaky. This is so dangerous.”
She said no blood tests were carried out to identify what the substance was and she lodged a formal complaint earlier this week, demanding to know the hospital’s policy on treating people who have had their drinks spiked.