Rules for ‘flying lanwmowers’

WITH regard to the Letter in the Dispatch about flying lawnmowers, aka microlights, which was published on Friday August 3, may I suggest that Joan Sharp contacts the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

Most microlights operate with a permit to fly, which is issued by the CAA, subject to the aircraft meeting certain standards.

All microlights must have a vaild noise certificate — requirements are detailed in Air Navigation (Environmental Standards for Non-ESA aircraft) Order 2008.

Applications are made to the CAA and a test will be carried out on any aircraft that is not already known to the CAA.

Once issued it is the owner’s responsibility to apply for a new noise certificate should any modifications be made to the aircraft.

A pilot flying a microlight must be suitably licensed. Microlights are not permitted to operate over a congested area below 1,000 feet.

Away from congested areas, microlights must not operate within 500 feet of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure.

This is a separation distance and therefore can be measured in any direction.

However, the RoA regulations are relaxed for the purposes of take-off and landing in accordance with normal aviation practice.

If microlights are operating at the low levels described in Joan Sharp’s letter, and making a noise nuisance, then it may be that they are operating outside aviation law. Contact details for the CAA can be found on the Internet.



(Name and address