Bulls bosses ‘move upstairs’ in surprise changes

CHANGES AT THE TOP --  Terry Witts  (centre) and Steve 'Ozzie' Osborne (right) have moved upstairs to become Bulwell's general managers, with Ian Lowe (left) taking over as boss alongside player Dwayne Soar
CHANGES AT THE TOP -- Terry Witts (centre) and Steve 'Ozzie' Osborne (right) have moved upstairs to become Bulwell's general managers, with Ian Lowe (left) taking over as boss alongside player Dwayne Soar

A flurry of surprises has marked the start of a season that BULWELL are hoping will end in Central Midlands League (CML), South Division glory.

For they not only crashed to a heavy defeat in theiir opening match -- 3-0 away to Swanwick Pentrich Road.

They have also announced that mercurial management duo, Terry Witts and Steve ‘Ozzie’ Osborne, are ‘moving upstairs’ to new roles within the club.

Witts and Osborne guided The Bulls to two successive Notts Senior League titles and third place in their debut season in the CML in 2013/14. They will also forever be remembered as the men who led Scots Grey to the FA All-England Sunday Cup in 2009.

However, a Bulls statement, released by secretary Andy Radford, read:

“Terry and Ozzie have relinquished their posts as first-team managers due to personal commitments.

“But they have accepted the roles of general managers, overseeing all on-field activities should they feel the need to do so. Ozzie has also taken on the role of fundraising officer.”

The new manager is Ian Lowe, who was Witts and Osborne’s assistant last term. Lowe’s number two will be last season’s captain, Dwayne Soar.

“We have also acquired the services of Darren Wheater-Lowe on a coaching basis from Dunkirk FC,” added Radford.

The changes came into effect before Bulwell’s trip to Derbyshire to play Swanwick last Saturday.

But Lowe and Soar endured a baptism of fire , despite the presence in their strong squad of three new signings in centre-half Alex Oldham (from Attenborough), who relegated Soar to the substitutes’ bench, midfielder Callum Moss and full-back Jacob Woods.

A clumsy challemge by Oldham led to Swanwick taking a 27th minute lead, with Andy White dispatching the resultant free-kick.

However, the match revolved around a red card 13 minutes into the second half when Jay Knight was sent off for upending White and conceding a penalty that Guy Wilding slotted home.

Soar duly sent himself on, but the home side sealed the points on 70 with a goal from Shane Whitmore.

The Bulls did have a first-half effeort cleared off the line. But their sloppy performance was all too reminiscent of their slow start to last term, which began with a 4-1 thumping at tha hands of Pinxton.

BULWELL recovered from their opening-day setback to grab a dramatic 2-1 victory over reigning champions Clifton All Whites on Wednesday night.

A changed side fell behind after only two minutes when a harmless-looking ball caught the backline cold and was turned into his own net by Ben Moore. But The Bulls gradually fought back -- and snatched the points with two goals in the last four minutes.

First, substitute Ryan King rose highest to head into the top corner. And then, in injury-time. more good work by King set up new signing Jake Fisher, who had the nous to pull the ball across goal for Felix Hogg to tap home and send the Greenwich Avenue crowd into rapturous celebrations.

It was nothing more than Bulwell deserved after a much-improved performance in the second half.

For Clifton, unbelievably, it was the third time in a week that they had surrendered a lead against Dispatch district opponents.


But a the chances but also had three strong penalty-shouts rejected.