CML Round-up: Glapwell caught by Short at the death

Action from Pinxton's win at Southwell.
Action from Pinxton's win at Southwell.

Despite a depleted squad, and a battling display, Glapwell suffered an agonising defeat at Central Midlands League Black Dragon Badges North Division title challengers Westella VIP, who won the game courtesy of Chris Short’s 90th minute goal at Barton Town.

Chances were at a premium throughout, although Glapwell did have a couple of good ones with Callum Dovison denied by the home keeper after going clear.

Westella had a big chance to take a first half lead, though, when they were awarded a penalty but Ryan Hopkins brilliantly denied Chris Spinks’ well struck spot kick.

The home side had a couple of further chances with a header from a corner and a shot from the left flashing just across goal.

Into the second half, Hopkins made a decent double save to deny the hosts.

Glapwell also had a decent chance when Sam Bartram broke clear but fired just wide of the far post from 25 yards.

But just as it looked like Glapwell might hold on for a deserved point, the ball broke to Chris Short, who had only been on the field for three minutes, whose low shot crept into the far corner to keep the home side in contention for the league.

It’s as you were at the top with the four leading teams all adding three points to their totals.

Appleby Frodingham took a fourth minute lead over third-placed Bilsthorpe, Nathan Watson the scorer, but a double from Mark Carter in three minutes around the hour mark saw Bilsthorpe through to maximum points.

After their midweek defeat at home to Bilsthorpe, leaders Clay Cross Town steadied the ship with a 3-0 win over Easington United.

Ryan Ordidge and Callum Lytham gave the Millers a two goal advantage at the break with Will Harcourt rounding things off in the second half to take his side’s goals scored total into three figures.

Newark Town made it six wins in a row as they beat visitors Thorne Colliery 2-0. Jordan Thomas advanced his total to 25 for the season with two first half goals, including one from the penalty spot.

Another side to suffer a late disappointment were Welbeck Welfare, who led Harworth Colliery twice but went down to a 3-2 defeat, after hitting the woodwork in the last minute.

Matty Bradley, Josh Dickinson and Nathan Millington were the Harworth match winners, Robbie Savage and Josh Brentnall scoring for Welbeck.

Phoenix, it appears are definitely rising. After managing just two wins in their first 20 matches, they have now won four of their last five, the latest success coming at Bentley Colliery where two James Lawton goals and an own goal gave them a three-goal winning margin.

Brodsworth Welfare travelled to Sherwood Colliery and returned with a 2-0 victory, a Shane Carver penalty and a goal from Luke Flanagan giving them the points.

Ollerton Town and Askern shared the points at Walesby Lane, Ash Evans’ 22nd minute goal for Askern being equalled by a Craig Stanton penalty.

After Wednesday night’s defeat in the Floodlit Cup against Pinxton, Mickleover Royals were again on the wrong end of the scoreline in their Black Dragon Badges South match at Blidworth Welfare where they fell to a Liam Theakstone goal.

Despite being beaten for only the second time this season, they remain seven points clear at the top with two games in hand over Pinxton, who came from behind to win 3-1 at Southwell City and go second.

Southwell took the lead when a break down the hosts’ left saw the winger show Pinxton’s defence a clean pair of heels before delivering an inch-perfect cross for Chris Bowles to tap home.

It was nothing more than the home side had deserved from an opening 45 minutes but they were unable to sustain the same level of effort in the second and Pinxton patiently waited for their moment.

The visitors pressed and a move to go more direct in their style of play paid off.

The equaliser came from a corner when Nathan Hollingworth’s delivery was met by a powerful header from Jake Allen.

And it was from another corner that saw Pinxton take the lead when, with 10 minutes to go, a Joel Smith flag kick was met by Josh Madin, who saw his header cleared off the line.

The ball bounced back to the defender and his shot hit the post but the danger wasn’t cleared and, when the ball fell kindly for Jake Vernon, he tucked it away to put the away side ahead.

The goal took the wind out of the hosts’ sails and, sensing another would put the result beyond doubt, Pinxton flooded forward and got the reward their efforts deserved.

Ryan Bates fed Ryan Watter and he in turn found Pete Stubley. There was an element of fortune about the experienced striker’s finish, as the ball hit his shin and thigh before rolling over the line.

Hucknall Town were shocked by a resurgent Eastwood Community, who took all three points at Watnall Road through a Nick Hewer goal which extended Eastwood’s unbeaten run to six. Hucknall’s neighbours at Rolls Leisure had a much better afternoon, two Andy Start goals, one for Rory Smith and an own goal seeing them to a 4-0 defeat of Mickleover RBL.

Evan Garnett scored the day’s only hat-trick for Belper United as they beat Real United 5-3 at the Inspire Stadium, with Ryan Wheatcroft getting the visitors’ other two. Swanwick Pentrich Road squeezed a narrow 2-1 win at bottom of the table Holbrook St Michaels. Shane Whitmore and Guy Wilding were on target for Swanwick, with Kurt Philips the Holbrook scorer.

In a close game at Church Lane, Linby Colliery and Harrowby Saints fought out a goalless draw.

In a replayed League Cup sponsored by Abacus Lighting third round tie, Clifton All Whites turned the tables on Thoresby Colliery, a Ben Richardson goal sending them through to a quarter-final match at Swanwick.