Cup semi exit against ten men caps fall from grace by T8’s

Share this article

A miserable season for champions and county cup heroes T8’S was capped by defeat against ten men in the semi-finals of the NOTTS SUNDAY MORNING LEAGUE’S (NSML) Premier Section Cup.

Hucknall side T8’s have failed to hit the heights of last term when they won the Premier Premier Division and the Notts FA Sunday Senior Cup.

But they appeared to be heading for the league cup final when Danny Hayes headed them in front after only five minutes of their semi against Kirkby Town, who then had a player sent off on the half-hour mark.

It all turned sour, though, against a Kirkby side who might play a division below T8’s but who are seven points clear at the top.

Their prolific top scorer, Kieren Watson, equalised in the 50th minute and as the tie went into extra-time, he struck again for the winner.

In the final, at Dunkirk FC, on Sunday 27th April, Kirkby will face Old Colonial, who beat the new county cup winners, Gedling Inn, in their semi.

BACK to league action, T8’s endured another day to forget when tackling Trowsers in a goal-packed double-header to ease fixture congestion.

The first match finished 3-3, with Andy Start (2) and player/manager Reece Jackson on target for the locals. But Trowsers won the second match 4-3, despite strikes from Aaron Short (2) and Start.

ALSO in the Premier Premier Division, similar tales of woe befell fellow Hucknall trio GREEN DRAGON, STATION HOTEL and BARFLYS H2O.

Bottom-of-the-table Barflys are on the brink of relegation after an 8-2 hammering at Trentside, for whom Nick Murray bagged a hat-trick and Hucknall Town man Eugene Francis also scored.

And Station were on the receiving end of a pummelling too -- 6-1 at Carlton Top Spot, despite a goal from James Lovett.

However, Dragon could hold their heads high, despite going down 2-1. For their conquerors were the league leaders and title favourites Gedling Inn, fresh from their midweek success in the final of the county cup against Clumber.

Indeed Norma Hatfield’s team even took the lead midway through the first half when midfielder Chris Fletcher beat the offside trap to coolly chip the ‘keeper from just outside the area. And they almost made it two when Jonny Bernard powered a header against the bar.

However, Gedling hit back to level when Ben Middleton diverted a low, hard cross past man-of-the-match ‘keeper Jamie Taylor.

And just when a draw looked set to be the fairest of outcomes, an own goal in a crowded area handed the home side a late winner.

OUTSIDE the top flight, only two NSML matches featured Hucknall clubs as AFC H2O and ATHLETICO T8’S scrapped for points in Premier Division Two.

H2O were held to a 2-2 draw by under-strength mid-tablers Edwalton, throwing away a 2-0 half-time lead supplied by Gary Richardson and Dan Poole.

Athletico took on a Premium team they had crashed 10-1 to only seven days earlier. This time they led 1-0 and 3-2 before conceding an 85th minute equaliser to draw 3-3.

Jamie Brown (2) and Richard Divine shared the Athletico goals in what was their last match of the season.