FA Sunday Cup exit so hard to take for heartbroken T8’s

10-1254-11'Nottinghamshire Senior Cup Final Hucknall  Rolls Royce V Caribean Cavaliers
10-1254-11'Nottinghamshire Senior Cup Final Hucknall Rolls Royce V Caribean Cavaliers

Heartbroken Hucknall champions T8’S suffered anguish for the second season running in the prestigious FA All-England Sunday Cup.

Just as in their Third Round tie against Sunderland RCA Grangetown last term, they somehow lost a match that they dominated.

RCA fled from Rolls-Royce with a 1-0 victory last January. This time, it was the turn of Leicestershire outfit Wymeswold to rob T8’s of the victory they deserved.

Reece Jackson’s men made the journey to Barrow Town’s ground fully aware of Wymeswold’s reputation in the Charnwood Sunday League where they lifted the title in 2012/13 and had opened this term with five wins out of five by margins of 5-1, 5-4, 5-2, 4-0 and 6-0.

But the Notts Sunday Morning League champions enjoyed heaps of possession and created stacks of chances, so the 2-1 defeat was very hard to take.

“After the final whistle, we were in disbelief that we had lost,” said Jackson. “On another day, it would have been 6-0.”

T8’s did take the lead with a superb bicycle-kick from Andy Start that flew into the top corner -- moments after both Damian Mann and Alistair Murray had been denied by the home ‘keeper.

And with Kyle McDermott terrorising Wymeswold down the left wing, they could and should have added more.

McDermott himself saw a glancing header at the front stick cleared off the line, and then Start squandered a golden chance when Mann broke free and squared to him. The striker’s touch was too heavy, enabling a defender just enough time to make a last-ditch block.

The misses proved costly because Wymeswold equalised on the stroke of half-time, although the goal was laced with luck. Adam Beazley’s long-range effort took a nasty deflection and wrongfooted goalkeeper Jake Pearson, whose vision was blinded by a striker seemingly standing offside.

T8’s still emerged for the second half full of belief that they would win the tie. And delivering countless crosses into the box, they produced their best football of the season so far.

A hatful of chances came and went, though, before Wymeswold somehow conjured up an 80th minute winner. A long kick by the ‘keeper was flicked on by their top scorer Rob Pitman, winning his first header of the afternoon against the faultless Danny Hayes, and there was winger Joe Geary pouncing to slot home his team’s only shot of the half.

To rub salt into the wounds, T8’s later heard that they would have had an attractive home draw in the Second Round -- against Hundred Acre, of the West Midlands.

T8’S LINE-UP -- Pearson J./ Conn, Hayes D., Brooks, Short, Mann, Buckley J., Murray, McDermott, Start A., Peberday. Subs: Ryan, Ward, Thomas, Davies.

TWO other Notts Sunday Morning League teams also bowed out of the FA Sunday Cup at the First Round stage.

Nuthall lost 3-1 at Bilsthorpe Celtic, while Gedling Inn crashed 3-0 at home to Whitwick Compass, of Leicestershire.