Fernando Forestieri disappointed with FA ban after Mansfield Town v Sheffield Wednesday brawl
Fernando Forestieri has spoken for the first time about being hit with a ban after a pre-season friendly between Mansfield Town and Sheffield Wednesday erupted into a mass brawl.
The Owls attacker says he is “very disappointed” with the Football Association who suspended him for three matches following a probe into events at Mansfield Town in July.
Forestieri, who was also given a £25,000 fine when he was found guilty of violent conduct, claims it was Stags who instigated the trouble at the end of a 2-1 Wednesday defeat at the One Call Stadium.
“I was very disappointed in this situation,” Forestieri told the Sheffield Star.
“The Mansfield players start kicking and they punch me in the face and the referee says nothing to them. I am punished and I am very disappointed.
“The FA can do anything they want, but their guy punches me first.
“The FA don’t do nothing to him. For this, I am disappointed that I am fined and given three matches.
“I think if the FA has evidence that someone kicked me and punched me in the face, they need to do the same (punishment) for both sides, not just Sheffield Wednesday.”
Stags’ Jacob Mellis was handed a three-match suspension and £1,500 fine for a separate incident involving Owls captain Tom Lees.
The FA have also been investigating a claim that Forestieri racially abused a Mansfield opponent, something he and the Owls vehemently refute. The game’s governing body haven’t isssued any charge so far.
“I think it is finished now,” Forestieri said. “I need to focus on the Championship.”