Friendlies round-up: Clipstone crushed


Division One Clipstone were crushed 10-3 at home by NCEL Premier Division Heanor Town in Saturday’s pre-season friendly.

The goal rush began as early as the fifth minute when Chris Shaw put through his own goal.

But on 19 minutes the home side levelled as Gary Ricketts headed home from a Paulo Piliero corner.

Adie Hawes popped up at the far post to restore Heanor’s lead on 23 minutes and two minutes later Jones fired in a third.

It was 5-1 by the half-hour mark as Brown and a sweet Piliero lob found the net.

After the break, Brown and Greenhalgh made it 7-1. Ricketts lobbed an eighth and then smashed home the ninth from the spot.

The referee ruled a Clipstone effort had crossed the line to bring it back to 9-2 and the home side grabbed a third from the spot before Cooke took Heanor into double figures with a powerful dipping shot on the final whistle.

In midweek Clipstone had held Scarborough 1-1 at home, Steve Whitehead on target.

Tonight they head to Ollerton for their next friendly.

Shirebrook went down 1-0 at home to Mickleover Sports through a deflected first half goal on Saturday. But the home side put in a good performance and had their chances.

In midweek a Paul Burke goal had given Shirebrook a 1-0 win at Hucknall Town.

Teversal’s friendly at Bardon Hill on Saturday had to be abandoned after 73 minutes due to a torrential downpour with Teversal trailing 4-1.

Steven Hart had scored all four for Bardon, having already smashed four past Ollerton Town as they racked up a 10-0 win at Walesby Lane in midweek.

Callum Purseglove netted Teversal’s reply.

In midweek Teversal had lost 3-1 at Rainworth MW, Craig Mitchell giving the Wrens an interval lead before Brad Cox brought the scores level on 69 minutes.

But then with time running out Rainworth pounced twice. On 88 minutes, sub Pradeep Bharem sent an unstoppable shot just inside the post, then in the last minute Mitchell popped up with his second of the game to settle it.

Rainworth MW were unable to field a side on Saturday so their home friendly with AFC Mansfield had to be cancelled.

AFC had kicked off their pre-season fixtures with a 4-0 midweek win against Selston FC. Goals from Kyle Ludlow, Phil Buxton and a brace from Callum Green sealed the victory for the home side.

AFC Mansfield entertain Arnold Town at the Forest Town Stadium tonight (Wednesday, 7.45pm).

Ollerton put their midweek disappointment against Bardon Hill behind them as they saw off Mansfield Town’s youth team, 3-2, in an exciting encounter.

Dave Winter’s men were 2-0 down at half-time but turned the game around in the second half with Liam Black scoring a last minute winner.

As well as the youth of Mansfield, Ollerton also fielded six players all under the age of 20 and the youngsters matched their opponents throughout with several impressive performances on display by the players in red and black.

With Mansfield’s friendly against Birmingham cancelled late on Friday, all focus was on the young Stags but they nearly went behind early on. Black released Aaron Norman and his initial shot was blocked before his effort from the rebound dipped over the bar.

Ollerton kept up their early pressure and Ben Bowring fizzed a shot just wide of the left hand post before debutant Declan Brewin created a chance for himself, but could only poke straight at the Mansfield keeper.

Similar to the first half versus Bardon, Ollerton created some good chances and matched their opponents but went into the break behind.

Mansfield’s opening goal came via a corner as Jack Koczalski ran free of his marker too easily and headed home.

Stags followed that up with a second shortly after as Dan Fletcher finished well after being found by a cross to the near post.

The Ollerton heads never dropped, however, and they came agonisingly close to halving the deficit. Brewin cut inside and from around 20 yards out, hit a fantastic curling effort which beat the keeper only to be stopped by the underside of the bar.

After their first half performance Ollerton still believed they could get something from the game, and with the first meaningful attack of the second half, they managed to get a goal back.

Will Horton attacked down the right wing and he aimed a ball into the box towards Black, who fired home, despite the best efforts of a nearby defender.

The goal seemed to provide Ollerton with more impetus and it wasn’t long before they got the equaliser.

Aaron Norman raced onto a loose ball and attempted to lob the advancing keeper. Hwever, he was clattered heavily for his troubles and with his shot landing on the roof of the net, the referee pointed to the spot. Brewin stepped up and made no mistake, lifting the ball into the top corner.

Ollerton managed to find the net once again as Horton smashed in from inside the box, but they were denied by the flag of the linesman, who deemed the Ollerton right back to have been in an offside position.

After Ollerton drew level, Mansfield started to grow back into the game and forced a period of pressure which led to a couple of chances.

One particular attack forced Ollerton substitute keeper, Jamie Davies into a making a splendid double save to maintain the parity.

The saves proved crucial as, in the dying embers of the game, Ollerton put the cherry on the top of the cake by going on to seal the win after completing the comeback.

Alex Wilford’s long throw was headed back to the Ollerton defender, and he hooked the ball to the edge of the area where Liam Black had time to bring it down and hit a low shot into the bottom corner.