Linby enjoy first win at neighbours Hucknall Town

Math winner Matt Murphy.
Math winner Matt Murphy.

Linby Colliery snatched their first ever win at neighbours Hucknall Town with a 2-1 extra-time success in the Notts FA Senior Cup on Saturday.

This was a classic local derby, full of action and entertainment for the crowd of over 150, with a late twist just before it went to penalties as sub Matt Murphy emerged the hero with the late winner.

Linby, back to near full strength, dug deep to win as they fielded eight players under the age of 20 in their starting line up and had to come from behind.

The Yellows welcomed back Cayne Maxwell at right back for his first start since being injured in the Vase game against Stapenhill and also gave a starting place to youngster Dwayne Ngandi in midfield.

The game started poorly with neither side able to string any passes together, Linby set their stall out to prevent Town getting any momentum.

On 18 minutes Ruban Mitchell was nearly in on a one-on-one, but Town keeper James Beddingham cleared the danger.

Four minutes later Joe Butler’s cross to Rian Charles saw Beddingham make a point blank save. But it was Town who took the lead on 32 minutes after good work from Niall Thompson ,who crossed from the left to find Kajally Danso at the far post to tap in, from three yards out.

On 35 minutes it could have been 2-0, which would have been harsh on Linby, Tom Crisp crossing from the by-line and Leon Aikman hitting the post from 10 yards.

But Town’s lead was short lived as the first sign of any Linby quality saw them level on 38 minutes. Mason Frizelle cut infield from his right back slot and clipped a lovely ball over the Town back line.

Ruban Mitchell took the ball down on his chest and volleyed past a static Beddingham from the edge of the area with wonderful skill, right out of Dennis Berkamp’s book of picture goals.

The second half was far more scrappy with Hucknall referee Steve Sears booking nine players from both teams as the game started to resemble a typical local derby.

Most of the cautions were for persistent offences except for Aikman, who was booked for diving to Hucknall’s anger when they felt he had won a penalty.

For the most part of the second half, both defences were on top and, as the game edged towards extra-time, both teams drew breath.

Two minutes into the extra-time, a Thompson cross almost went in, but was headed off the line by Charles at the far post. Four minutes later a good chance for Linby saw Butler’s close range effort saved by Beddingham.

On 101 minutes, a good Linby move saw Millward find Charles late run, but the Linby midfielder’s powerful volley was saved well by Beddingham. However, on 114 minutes, as the game looked like its going to the dreaded penalty shoot out Linby found a winner.

Great work from tireless man of the match Butler saw him hold the ball up well and feed sub Matt Murphy, Linby’s top goalscorer of the past five seasons, who cut onto his right foot and unerringly found the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the area.

It was another wonderful goal from Linby and one worthy of winning any game.

Linby’s reward for the win is an away trip to Carlton Town, in the third round, likely to be on Wednesday, December 9. Carlton, who play in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division One South, won the Senior Cup in 2014 and are ranked as one of the top teams in the county.

Linby face more cup action this weekend when they host a visit from Pinxton in the CMFL Challenge Cup sponsored by Buckingham Insurance on Saturday.

Meanwhile Hucknall Town must lick their wounds for an extra seven days as they have no game before they travel to Swanwick Pentrich Road on Saturday week.