Linby leave it late in Senior Cup

Action from Eastwood Community FC's match against Linby on Saturday.
Action from Eastwood Community FC's match against Linby on Saturday.

Linby left it late again to progress in the Notts Senior Cup following a 3-1 victory over NSL Champions Ruddington Village.

The victory was the fourth consecutive win for Lewis Saxby’s men and the third in a row at Church Lane in all competitions.

A brace from Lewis Weaver and a last minute goal from Matt Murphy sealed the club’s place in the next round.

The home side got off to a positive start with striker Lewis Weaver’s constant pressuring causing problems for the young George Sansom in the Ruddington goal.

His harassing first led to the keeper mis-kicking in the 12th minute with the ball landing to Tremere Lindo. But the young winger couldn’t get a shot off at the empty net from 30 yards and the ball was eventually cleared.

Two minutes later Linby were ahead. This time Matt Murphy was able to flick a ball through for the pacey Weaver who was able to knock the ball past the on-rushing goalkeeper and into the empty goal.

The lead didn’t last long though as four minutes later Ruddington were back on level terms. The away side started to press after going behind but it was a Linby player who got them level when Terry Henshaw had the misfortune of heading past his own keeper.

A high ball was played into the box and the experienced Henshaw attempted to head it back to his goalkeeper who was rushing out for the ball and saw it fly past him.

Ashley Moorcroft had Ruddington’s best chance of going into the break ahead when he forced Josh Downie to save low to his right with a hard shot from close range after 22 minutes whilst Tremere Lindo’s curling shot from 35 yards after cutting inside was the home side’s only real chance of note in a half of few real chances.

The second half didn’t start much better with both sides struggling to grab a hold of the game. Matt Murphy fired a half volley over from the edge of the box after 64 minutes before again hitting over after 72.

Two minutes later Lewis Weaver gave the home fans their first exciting moment of the half when he rounded the keeper when 1v1 but the striker had a heavy touch which pushed him too far wide for a clear shot and Tremere Lindo’s eventual shot at goal was blocked on the line.

As the sky started to darken, the game looked destined for extra time. This was until Lewis Weaver sent the Linby dugout into a rapture in the 87th minute. A ball across from the left was brilliantly brought down by Tremere Lindo at the back post before being played into the path of Weaver who smashed it home.

The last time these two sides met in 2012, Matt Murphy was able to grab a goal for Linby in a 4-1 win. The striker was able to get another one in this game as in the last minute he was able to receive the ball down the middle before firing it in. The Ruddington defence seemed distracted by what they felt was an offside in the build up but the linesman had notioned it was fine.

Linby face South Normanton FC on Friday night.