Marlow not carried away despite battering Bulwell

Bulwell v Linby
Bulwell v Linby

Linby Colliery boss Dave Marlow was in no mood to get carried away, despite an 8-1 thrashing of Bulwell on Saturday.

The rout was actually Linby’s first away victory of the season, and Marlow insisted his side needed to keep perspective.

He said: “It was a good win today, but that’s all it was, one win.

“As a team we need to be more consistent, we need to put our chances away, every week, not just every third week.

“We need to defend like we did today.

“I thought our back four, and keeper coped extremely well with their strikers, make no mistake Fisher and Carter are top quality.”

The scoreline may look strange, but many of Linby’s fans will know that they create this many chances most Saturdays, the difference this week being that most of the chances went in.

In a whirlwind start to the game, in the first minute Ruban Mitchell saw a shot cleared off the line by Richard Saunders.

Then on two minutes Joe Butler beat his man, got to the byeline and crossed for Ruban Mitchell to open the scoring.

On eight minutes it was 2-­0, good work from Rian Charles put Ruban Mitchell away down the right, he crossed and Butler slid the ball home from eight yards.

Matt Murpy’s shot was tipped onto the bar by Bulwell keeper Stuart Lewis, who then denied Mitchell after good work by Sam Meakin.

From the resulting corner, Kaylum Mitchell swung the kick into the far post, where Ash Winfield headed into the top corner.

Before the half-hour mark, a typical sweeping Linby counter attack, involving Meakin, Winfield and Charles, saw Murphy’s 25-yard shot parried by Lewis, into the path of Kaylum Mitchell, who tapped in to make it 4-0.

And on 35 minutes it was give, Kaylum Mitchell crossing, Lewis unable to keep Butler’s volley out of the net.

Ross McCaughey pulled one back for the Bulls with a screaming 30 yarder into the top corner.

It wasn’t until the 73rd minute that Linby restored their five-goal lead, Murphy swinging the ball in for Tom Coupe to head into the top corner.

Two minutes later a brilliant solo run from Butler saw him beat three men, twisting one way, then the other, before planting a perfect shot into the bottom corner for his hat-trick.

Butler hit the post, before Murphy added the eighth goal and completed the rout.

It was Linby’s first ever win over Bulwell, at the eighth attempt, and their first win at Greenwich Avenue since 2006, along with their first away victory of the campaign.

Linby: Luca Rocco, Mason Frizelle, Terry Henshaw, Will Spray, Sam Meakin, Kaylum Mitchell, Ash Winfield, Rian Charles, Ruban Mitchell, Matt Murphy, Joe Butler.

Subs: Jack Millward (for K.Mitchell 52m), Tom Coupe (for Winfield 60m).

Man of the Match: Joe Butler.