MATCH REPORT: Stags are held to scoreless draw at Yeovil

Mansfield Town's Rhys Bennett heads clear - Photo by Chris Holloway

Mansfield Town just couldn’t break down a resolute Yeovil Town defence as they remain eighth following a 0-0 draw at Huish Park tonight.

Steve Evans’ men probably just about edged the possession and chances count overall, but they couldn’t make any of those opportunities count.

Mansfield Town's CJ Hamilton - Photo by Chris Holloway

Still, their impressive recent run now reads just one defeat in 12 games - certainly play-off form in anyone’s book.

Mansfield made three changes. Scott Shearer began the night in goal in place of the injured Jake Kean, though Stags will have been delighted to hear that scans and X-rays have revealed only bone bruising and he should be within the next fortnight.

Also out went striker Pat Hoban and midfielder Jamie McGuire, replaced by right back Hayden White, back from a one-game ban, and midfielder Alex MacDonald, playing a more attacking role for the night to back up Shaq Coulthirst.

Skipper Lee Collins moved back into a defensive midfield role to allow White to return to full back.

Mansfield Town's Shaquile Coulthirst shoots at goal - Photo by Chris Holloway

Strike pair Danny Rose and Matt Green were not risked with slight injuries.

Neither side could find a breakthrough during what proved to be an end-to-end opening period.

Yeovil were also furious when Stags keeper Shearer handled well outside his box after only five minutes and got away with a booking.

The Glovers, without a victory in their previous five games, went close early on as Kevin Dawson tried his luck from distance, only to see his shot drift narrowly wide.

Mansfield Town's CJ Hamilton takes on the Yeovil defence - Photo by Chris Holloway

Bevis Mugabi lashed in a similar effort moments later, one which also flew harmlessly wide.

The Stags finally responded positively and CJ Hamilton clipped a left-footed strike inches over the crossbar.

As the visitors tried to turn the screw a little, they again came close to opening the scoring when Ben Whiteman drilled a shot past the angle of post and crossbar.

Joel Byrom was looking particularly threatening for the Stags, and he almost made his mark when a well-hit strike just missed the target.

Mansfield Town's Mal Benning looks to make the cross - Photo by Chris Holloway

The Glovers looked much the more purposeful of the two sides in the early stages of the second period, and Ben Whitfield came mighty close for the Huish Park strugglers when he crashed a shot over the top from well inside the box.

However, back came Evans’ in-form outfit and Byrom threatened again when he let fly unsuccessfully from 20 yards.

Krystian Pearce was another who was working tirelessly to somehow craft an opening, but as the final 20 minutes approached a goalless outcome was looking more and more likely.

There was a scare for the Stags in the 71st minute when schemer Tom Eaves fired narrowly over the top for Yeovil.

YEOVIL: Krysiak, Shephard, Dolan, Mugabi, Lacey, Dawson, Lawless, Dickson, Zoko, Whitfield (Goodship 81), Harrison (Eaves 61). Subs: Maddison, James, Butcher, Akpa Akpro, Sowunmi.

STAGS: Shearer, White (McGuire 54), Bennett, Pearce, Benning, Collins, Whiteman, Byron, Hamilton, MacDonald (Hoban 66), Coulthirst (Potter 79). Subs: Jensen, Baxendale, Arquin, Hemmings.

REFEREE: Christopher Sarginson of Staffordshire.

ATTENDANCE: 2,766 (111 away).

More from Sport