Rampant AFC Mansfield smash Glapwell 10-0

Glapwell were brought back down to earth after a recent upturn in fortunes as they crashed to a massive 10-0 defeat against AFC Mansfield in the Windsor Foodservices Central Midlands League at Forest Town Welfare on Friday night.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 2:12 pm

The Bulls produced a dominant display and first half goals from Dean Rick, Danny Tighe, Danny McLane and Phil Buxton put the game beyond doubt.

They were followed up by a hat-trick from Lee Easom, a brace from Mark Carter and a final goal by Callum Green.

The first 10 minutes set the scene for the rest of the game as Rick had his effort blocked on five minutes.

Then Tighe saw his drive deflected for a corner and then twice Rick got to the line to deliver crosses that Joe Naylor headed wide on the first attempt and was denied by a fine save from Ryan Hopkins on the second attempt.

So it was no surprise that AFC finally took the lead on 16 minutes, Rick racing onto a Naylor through ball to round the keeper before firing home.

The second goal came by way of a harsh decision from the referee.

A defender had hoisted the ball high in the air back towards the keeper, who caught it.

However, the referee decided it was a pass back and gave the home side a free kick.

Somehow Tighe then found the far corner with a superb low driven effort through a crowd of players.

Naylor went close again as his effort was turned around the post by goalkeeper Tim Grundy.

Glapwell failed to clear their lines and the ball fell to McLane a full 30 yards from goal.

McLane looked up and hit an unstoppable, bullet of a shot that hit the top corner, leaving the keeper stranded on 29 minutes.

The fourth goal came on 41 minutes with more good work down the right flank from Rick.

He eventually pulled the ball back to Buxton 15 yards out to hit it first time and it flew into the roof of the net.

Rick made way for Easom at half-time and the striker made an immediate impact.

Tthe half was less than five minutes old when Buxton provided a simple finish from Easom to make it 5-0.

The Bulls were now rampant and Carter added a sixth goal on 65 minutes with the simplest of tap ins.

Easom doubled his tally on 70 minutes, picking the ball up on the left flank he turned his marker inside out before firing a low drive from the edge of the box into the far corner past the diving Hopkins.

Three minutes later McLane raced down the left flank and delivered a superb ball into the box which Easom fired confidently past Hopkins for his hat-trick and the home side’s eighth.

Easom turned provider on 84 minutes, a great run down the right which took him past two defenders and then an unselfish square ball to Callum Green to fire home from five yards.

Naylor had the chance to cap his man of the match display when he raced clear and tried to lob Hopkins from the edge of the box.

But the keeper stayed on his feet and in the end it was a comfortable save.

The scoring was complete in the last minute when indecision between Hopkin and a defender left Carter with another easy finish to make it 10-0.

Elsewhere, Sherwood Colliery were held 2-2 at strugglers Easington United while Ollerton crashed 3-1 at Kinsley Boys.

High-flying Westella Hanson pipped Thoresby Colliery 2-1.

In the Black Dragon South Division, Blidworth went down 3-0 at home to Hucknall Town and Southwell edged out Swanwick 3-2.

Clifton All Whites kept their grip at the top with a 1-0 win at Barrowby, and Pinxton faltered in their chase in third after drawing 2-2 at struggling Holbrook.