Rolls through, but Hucknall Town bow out as Bulwell are forced to wait

MIXED fortunes for local teams in the Central Midlands League's Floodlit Cup.
MIXED fortunes for local teams in the Central Midlands League's Floodlit Cup.
Share this article

One in, one out and one in limbo. That was the story from the Central Midlands League’s Floodlit Cup this week for HUCKNALL ROLLS, HUCKNALL TOWN and BULWELL.

In three First Round ties, Rolls progressed with a 2-1 victory at home to Harrowby Saints, Town bowed out in a 2-1 defeat at home to Pinxton and Bulwell were made to wait for their fate.

The Bulls were due to play divisional rivals, Southwell City, on Tuesday night. But the match was postponed because Southwell could not raise a side after the resignation of their manager, Dave Scott.

Said Bulwell secretary Andy Radford: “The league now needs to get all the facts before deciding if we have to play the fixture at a later date or we are given a walkover.”

Rolls were not without their problems either because they had two players sent off after a mass brawl erupted in their tie against Grantham outfit, Harrowby Saints.

Goals in each half from Jack Smith and Harry Allen gave them a cosy lead before Billy Brooks and Allen walked, along with a player for the visitors, who pulled a goal back late on.

Town were left to regret a couple of unfortunate blunders that handed victory at Watnall Road to Pinxton, who sit just below them in the South Division table.

First a slip by centre-back Cayne Maxwell let in poacher Pete Stubley, who gave the visitors the lead. And after The Yellows had equalised when James Rigg helped in a fine free-kick by Elliott Pitt, a speculative shot by Danny O’Donnell, playing against his former club, skimmed off the floor and bobbled over ‘keeper James Beddingham for what proved to be the 42nd minute winner.

Town didn’t play badly, though, and almost levelled in the second half when Dave Leak hit the bar. Appeals for a penalty for handball were also rejected.