Teversal part company with boss Saxby

editorial image

Lewis Saxby was relieved of his duties as first team manager at Teversal FC on Sunday after the 6-2 defeat at Lincoln Moorlands the day before.

This was the club’s third straight league defeat along with their exit from the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Cup.

Add the current form to a poor pre-season and a run of six games without a win at the end of last season, it now means it is 10 league games without a win.

A club spokesman said: “The club have offered Lewis the opportunity to carry on working within the management team while he completes his Level 2 Coaching course and gain experience from within the management team without the pressures the senior manager post in the club brings.

“Unfortunately Lewis has declined that opportunity and chosen to leave the club immediately. All at Teversal FC would like to thank Lewis for his efforts and wish him all the best in the future.

“Moving forward, Scott Simpson will become caretaker manager with the task of preparing the side for the tough task ahead, starting with a baptism of fire with the first local derby of the season with the visit of AFC Mansfield to Carnarvon Street.

“The club would like to thank Scott for taking the role on whilst the directors evaluate their full options before making any further statement on a long term replacement to ensure that the club initially maintains its Step 6 status in the National League System and try to regain entry into the FA Cup.”

After an improved performance in midweek in their 2-1 League Cup exit, Teversal had hoped to see further improvements from the trip to Lincoln with more optimism despite the loss of some players through injury, work, and holiday commitments.

The Tevie Boys started the livelier to be rewarded when Naughton fed a through ball between the home defenders for Wood to race on to, to produce a quality finish by opting to take the chance early to fire past the advancing Turner in the home goal to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

On six minutes had Teversal had a bit of luck they could have been 2-0 up when Wood’s driven cross was deflected by Pell over his keeper with the ball dropping inches wide of the unguarded goal.

Wood was central to another opportunity 10 minutes later when Fisher played a ball that found the striker to race clear again with Pell managing to close him down but failed to prevent Wood firing across goal, which was too quick for the onrushing Adcock to reach and went the wrong side of the far post.

Midway through the first period the hosts created their first opening of note when the visitors failed to clear their lines, with Asplin given the time and space to cross to the far post where Bridges directed his header wide of the target.

Things started to go wrong for Teversal when Fisher had to receive treatment for a hamstring injury, but there was nothing he could have done to prevent Mowbray levelling on 28 minutes when Wren played a perfectly weighted ball that allowed the striker to race clear and finish with aplomb by placing his effort past the advancing Brooks.

A minute later Townsend sent a far post corner that had the Moorlands defence all at sea allowing Cox to attack the ball at the far post to produce the perfect text book header by heading the ball down with it beating Turner but bouncing over the bar.

Fisher was unable to shake off his injury so was replaced by Dickinson which led to three changes due to not having a central defender on the bench with John Lee moving into that position and Lee Townsend dropping in at left back.

Again luck fell in the lap of Moorlands when Townsend took a free kick from the corner of the 18 yard area. Turner was well beaten with the keeper grasping at thin air as the bar came to his rescue with the ball going to safety.

The frustration of that was realised by the Tevie Boys when Bridges was given the time and space to get the ball down and turn to release Mowbray to notch his second in a fortunate manner, again the luck going against the visitors, as the effort beat Brooks to hit the post and go across the goal to cross the line to take it a 2-1 lead.

A minute later the Teversal had the opportunity to level when Cox sent Wood clear, and in another dual with Turner, the keeper came out on top with an excellent save by blocking with his outstretched leg on the edge of his penalty area.

With half-time approaching again the Tevie Boys again went looking for the leveller when Wood became the provider by finding Harris, but the midfielder did well to get an effort away with King closing him down with the effort going wide of the upright.

Clearly one area in which Moorlands were getting exposed was down their right, so at half-time they brought on Coe to replace Brookes at right back.

But again it was the visitors who started the better and within two minutes of the restart another Townsend corner caused the home side problems with Naughton powerfully heading goalwards only for Moorlands to again get a slice of luck as the goal-bound effort hit Tevie skipper Schofield on the hosts’ goal line.

Wood then released Adcock, who broke away from the defenders and sent a cleverly lifted effort over the advancing Turner, but the effort dropped on the back of the netting rather than into it to the frustrations of the striker.

On the hour mark Moorland’s created their first opening when Asplin crossed to the far post where it looked odds on that Mowbray would complete his hat-trick, but the striker’s weak effort went wide of the target.

A minute later though the direct approach saw the lead extended when Frecklington launched a ball down their left flank with Bowden flicking it on to Bridges, who took the ball and cut in to fire a low drive past the stranded Brooks to make it 3-1.

Again from the off Tevie had an opportunity to reduce the deficit when Townsend got to the by-line to cross with Harris helping it on to Dawson, who guided his headed effort wide of the target with first effort since joining the club from Pinxton in midweek.

Things went from bad to worse when Teversal’s skipper and centre back had to come off with a back injury, so yet again numerous changes had to be made to accommodate the lack of defenders on the bench with Hutchinson coming on to replace his captain.

The last 15 minutes was dominated by Moorlands, who went to score three further goals which was a harsh reflection on a Tevie side that suffered from injuries and bad luck throughout the afternoon. The fourth goal came in the 76th minute when Asplin whipped a cross from which Bowden put a glancing header into the back of the net.

Three minutes later it was 5-1 when yet again Lady Luck favoured the hosts when Mowbray’s mis-hit effort fell straight into the path of Asplin, who rounded off an excellent individual performance by clinically finishing. Again he was lucky to be on the park when he could have easily had a straight red card for a rash and dangerous challenge in the first period.

Teversal kept going against the odds and pulled one back on 82 minutes when Adcock and Townsend combined with the latter crossing to allow Naughton to fire home from six yards to make it 5-2.

On 85 minutes Teversal’s misery was complete when Forbes had the time and space to deliver a ball in to allow Wren to head home to make it 6-2.

The scoreline certainly ironed over the cracks for the home side and highlighted the need to have bench to cover all eventualities for the visitors.

Next up for the Tevie Boys is their first local derby when they entertain AFC Mansfield in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One on Saturday with a 3pm kick off at Carnarvon Street.

LINCOLN MOORLANDS RAILWAY : Craig Turner, Kelvyn Brookes (Matthew Coe 45), Sean Frecklington, Jonathan Wren, Ryan Pell (Dominic Sibilsig 66), Stuart King, George Asplin, Luke Forbes, Craig Bridges, Simon Mowbray, Joshua Bowden (William Conlow 84). Subs not used: Paul Hodds, Jack Grocock.

TEVERSAL: Ryan Brooks, Andy Hauton, John Lee, Lee Townsend, Jordan Schofield (Jack Hutchinson 73), Luke Fisher (Sean Dickinson 33), Ady Harris, Brad Cox, Oli Wood (Jason Dawson 61), Jimmy Adcock, Lee Naughton.

REFEREE: David Jones of Lincolnshire.