Linby in gr-eight form to destroy Bulwell

Action from Linby v Bulwell on Saturday. Photo by Anne Shelley.
Action from Linby v Bulwell on Saturday. Photo by Anne Shelley.

Linby secured their first away win of the season in emphatic style by winning 8-1 in the local derby at Bulwell.

In a whirlwind start to the game, in the first minute Ruban Mitchell saw a shot cleared off the line by Richard Saunders. Then on two minutes Joe Butler beat his man, got to the byline and crossed for Ruban Mitchell to open the scoring.

On eight minutes it was 2-0 as good work from Rian Charles putMitchell away down the right and his cross was met by Butler who slid in to score.

Matt Murphy then saw ashot tipped onto the bar by Bulwell keeper Stuart Lewis, but it was soon 3-0 when Kaylum Mitchell’s corner found Ash Winfield who headed home.

A sweeping counter-attack brought the fourth goal two minutes later as Sam Meakin, Winfield and Charles combined to creat a chance for Murphy whose 25-yarder was parried but Kaylum Mitchell followed up to score.

It should have been 5-0 on 31 minutes when Butler fired a thunderbolt against the post followed by a rare Bulwell effort when Conor Carter headed over from a corner kick.

A volley from Butler then did made it five after Kaylum Mitchell’s cross, and although Ross McCaughey pulled one back with a 30-yard screamer before the back, Linby were firmly in control at the break with a 5-1 lead.

The second-half started with Bulwell enjoying a few minutes of pressure and Carter again came close to pulling another goal back when he headed over from a corner kick.

Butler saw an early second-half effort just clear the bar and then Lewis denied the same player with an excellent save, but on 73 minutes Linby got their sixth when Murphy’s corner was headed home by Tom Coupe.

Two minutes later it was 7-1 as Butler got his well-deserved hat-trick with a shot into the corner of the net from the edge of the area, Butler then hitting the bar with a25-yarder moments later.

The scoring was rounded off on 85 minutes when Ruban Mitchell fed Butler whose shot hit the post but Murphy was on hand to net the rebound.

This was not only Linby’s first away win but their first ever win over Bulwell in eight attempts and their first at Greenwich Avenue since 2006. Although Manager Dave Marlow was happy with his team’s performance he had cautionary words to say after the game.

He said: “It was a good win today, but that’s all it was, one win.

“As a team we need to be more consistent , we need to put our chances away every week, not just every third week.

“We need to defend like we did today. I thought our back four and keeper coped extremely well with their strikers, as make no mistake, Fisher and Carter are top quality .”

Bulwell (4-4-2): Stuart Lewis / Richard Saunders, Jay Knight (c), Ryan Krause, Ross McCaughey / Joe Harrison (Liam Towle 60), Daniel Chadwick, Ashley Chadwick (Kieran Betteridge 52), Luke Attenborough (Leon Roberts 67) / Conor Carter, Jake Fisher

Linby (4-4-2): Luca Rocco/Mason Frizelle, Terry Henshaw , Will Spray ,Sam Meakin/ Kaylum Mitchell (Jack Millward 52), Ash Winfield (Tom Coupe 60), Rian Charles, Ruban Mitchell/ Matt Murphy, Joe Butler.